Using the Forums at Tintinologist.org
- Rules and policies
- Registering an account
- Logging in
- Making a new post / starting a new topic
- Email notifications
- Formatting messages
- Quoting messages
- Locking topics
- Editing messages
- Deleting messages
- Managing user account preferences and details (changing password/email address and etc)
- Resetting forgotten or lost password
- Using the search engine
Rules and policies
- Keep one account per person.
- Keep posts on-topic, constructive, family-friendly and of general interest.
- Be ethical and lawful. Do not ask for or provide information on where to obtain illegal material (e.g. unofficial Tintin works, unauthorized distribution of copyrighted works).
- No self-promotion or business advertising. Making excessive, unnecessary references to your own products and websites is self promotion.
- Write in English. Use standard English grammar and punctuation.
- Messages posted at Tintinologist.org are the sole opinion and responsibility of the poster.
- By posting, the poster grants Tintinologist.org a royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive, unrestricted, worldwide licence to use the submitted content in any way for any purpose.
- Tintinologist.org reserves the right to modify/move/remove any user contribution, or take action against any account, at any time, for any reason.
- These terms/rules are retroactive, and it is the user's responsibility to remain informed of current Tintinologist.org policies.
Registering an account
Registration is only necessary if you wish to post. Registration is free. Only one account is permitted per person.
- Select "Register" from the menu.
- Read and agree to the forums Registration Terms of Agreement (also known as Rules and policies).
- Complete the registration form:
Login - login means username/ID/nickname. Please use only letters a to z and numbers, and keep the login between 3 to 40 characters long. Your login is case-sensitive (e.g. jacko is not the same as Jacko or JACKO).
Email - the email address to which your password is to be sent.
Account activation email
The account activation email is sent automatically by our servers immediately after a new account is created; and depending on network traffic, it can take up to 24 hours to reach your mailbox.
Did not receive the account activation email?
- Please check your spam-filtered mail; your account activation email may have got filtered as spam by mistake. Some mail services (e.g. Hotmail, Yahoo!, Verizon or GMX) use spam filters that direct a lot of the automatically sent emails to a special folder.
- Please add tintinologist.org to your safe addresses list, so that future emails from Tintinologist.org do not get blocked.
- Request a new activation email (this will take you to our password reset page); please note that this is a automated email response and may get filtered if you have spam filtering enabled, so be sure to also check your spam filtered mail to see if this is the case.
- If you still do not receive an activation email after requesting a new one, contact our webmaster for assistance.
- First time user: pick up your password from the email account you supplied during registration.
- Locate the "Enter forums" bar above the forums' main index page, not far below the forum title.
- In the "login" field, enter your login. Your login name is case-sensitive. If unsure, check the first email we sent you (the one containing your password) which also shows your login.
- In the "password" field, enter your password. Your password is case-sensitive (e.g. password is not the same as Password or PassWord.)
Having trouble logging in?
- Make sure you have not made a typo; your login and password are both case-sensitive.
- If you cannot log in and there is no error message, make sure your browser accepts cookies.
- Do not know how to allow cookies on your browser? Please refer to Google's "How to enable cookies" guide for step-by-step instructions. If your browser is not covered by Google's guide, please read the "Help" documentation for your specific browser.
- If you have any security software installed, such as Norton Internet Security, Norton Personal Firewall or similar, make sure it is configured to allow cookies.
Managing your profile and preferences
- Log in
- Select "Edit profile" from the menu.
- You can update everything except your login name:
- Do not touch any password-related fields unless you want to change your password.
- To change your password, type your new password in the password fields. Your old password will expire immediately after you save the changes.
- To hide/unhide your email address from public view, adjust the 'Let others see my email address' setting accordingly. You can receive email notifications even if you have your email address hidden.
- Click the submission button to save changes.
Resetting forgotten password
If you forget or lose your password, you will need to re-set it.
- Click on "Forgot your password?" link next to the login form.
- Enter the email address associated with your forum membership.
- You will receive an email with a new password - be sure to activate the new password by clicking on the link supplied in the email.
- If you do not like your new password, simply log in and then go to "Edit profile" to change it to something you prefer.
Using the search engine
- Click on the "Search" link in the menu to search the forums using keyword(s).
- Search results are sorted by post time in descending order (new posts are shown first).
Making a new post / starting a new thread
- Do a search on your question first—chances are, someone else has already asked the same thing, and received an answer.
- Locate the "Make a new post" form at the bottom of each topic listing page.
- Use appropriate language encoding (e.g. UTF-8) before you input special symbols (e.g. accented characters such as é ): In Internet Explorer, click the right mouse button on the screen, choose "Encoding", and then set it; in Netscape Navigator/Opera, choose menu's "View" → "Character Set (Encoding)" and then set it.
- Enter a topic title in the "Make new post" box.
- Enter your the body of your message in the "Message" box.
- If you want to be notified by email whenever someone replies to your post, click the "Email me when someone replies" box.
- Click "Post".
- To make another post, repeat the steps above. Please note that to discourage spamming and flooding, users can only post once per defined time (currently set to 90 seconds).
- To receive email notifications whenever someone replies to your post, click the "Email me when someone replies" box below the message posting and preview buttons.
- To stop receiving notifications, select the appropriate topic, click on the "Cancel email notifications" link.
- Just enter the full URL or email address and watch it turn into a real hyperlink. No BB code is needed.
- Turn a word or a phrase (instead of the full URL) into a Web link
- BB code: [url=complete URL]word or phrase you want to turn into a hyperlink[/url]
- Example: [url=http://www.example.com/]View this example Web site![/url] produces View this example web site!
- Note: Do not put spaces/quotation marks/apostrophes inside the [url=URL] tag.
- Turn a word or a phrase into an email address (instead of showing the full email address) into an email link
- BB code: [email=emailaddress]text you want to turn into an email link[/email]
- Example: [email@example.com]Email me![/email] produces Email me!
- Note: Do not put spaces/quotation marks/apostrophes inside the [email=] tag.
- Display an image (the use of this option is discouraged. Please provide the URL of the image instead.)
- BB code: [imgs]full url of the image[/imgs]
- Example: - [imgs]http://www.example.com/img/example.jpg[/imgs]
- Note 1: you can link only to .gif or .jpg files from http:// servers.
- Note 2: Do not put spaces/quotation marks/apostrophes inside the [img] tag.
- Bold text
- BB code: [b]text you want to bold[/b]
- Example: [b]Achtung![/b] produces Achtung!
- Note: No spaces between the text and the [b][/b] tags
- Italicise text
- BB code: [i]text[/i]
- Example: [i]Achtung![/i] produces Achtung!
- Note: No spaces between the text and the [i][/i] tags
- Underline text
- BB code: [u]Underlined[/u]
- Example: [u]Achtung![/u] produces Achtung!
- Note: No spaces between the text and the [i][/i] tags
- Select the text you want to quote
- Press the "quote" link
- The selected text will be automatically inserted into the reply box at the bottom of the page.
A topic can be locked by its creator. Moderators and the Administrator can also lock/unlock any topic.
To lock your topic:
- Log in.
- Go to the topic you want to lock.
- At the bottom of the page, click on the "lock topic" link.
Editing messages (original topic line cannot be edited)
- Locate your post.
- Click "Edit".
Cannot edit your messages?
If forum staff have edited and locked your post, you cannot undo the changes.
Currently, posts that have not been edited by forums staff can be edited for up to 48 hours after they have been posted. In most cases this allows for time to fix typos and broken links, but also helps to prevent individuals from editing their posts to back-track a particular stance or add a heap of new information. (When an old post is edited, it does not appear in the recent posts list; therefore, if the post contains a lot of new content, it will be overlooked by most people.)
Forums staff do not accept requests for removing messages, so please think carefully before you post.
Online now: 9 guests and 0 members
Most users ever online was 351 on 13 Oct 2014 21:14: 351 guests and 0 members