Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Official Tintin books /

Flight 714: title translation

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

midnightblueowl
#1 · Posted: 4 Jan 2006 20:26 · Edited by: Moderator
Hello
If you translate Flight 714 from French it says Flight 714 to Sydney.
Why is the English not a direct translation?
jock123
#2 · Posted: 4 Jan 2006 22:40 · Edited by: jock123
There are all sorts of differences in the English titles - e.g. Prisoners rather than Temple of the Sun; most were done by the translators - in consultation with Hergé - in order to increase the impact for sales purposes.
I suspect that the removal of Sydney was to make the title even more mysterious, but I don't have proof of this...
Harrock n roll
#3 · Posted: 11 Jan 2006 11:53
Retrieved from this topic

The Young Vic's marketing team have created a downloadable "resource pack" to be found here www.youngvic.org/imgs/resourcepack/1134396313.pdf

edcharlesadams noted:

...has anyone noticed how on the last page, the text on the bookcover of Flight 714 reads as Flight 714 to Sydney? Presumably this came from publicity material from Egmont, could they be thinking of revising the title? Or has someone translated directly from the French without looking up the English version's true title?

Ed

I hadn't noticed that, how odd! I know that the thumbnail covers are made seperately rather than being straight reduced scans of the covers (you can tell because some of the lettering is at a smaller size - The Black Island for instance) However, it seems a bit of effort went into it with the small plane being moved to fit after the "to Sydney".

It seems a strange mistake to make and just as strange if they really are thinking of changing the title after nearly 40 years.
labrador road 26
#4 · Posted: 11 Jan 2006 14:41
The Young Vic's marketing team have created a downloadable "resource pack" to be found here www.youngvic.org/imgs/resourcepack/1134396313.pdf

The Young Vic's logo/symbol looks a lot like the earlier Bordurian symbol discussed at thread:
http://www.tintinologist.org/forums/index.php?action=vthread&forum=1&topic=1140
but upside down.
yamilah
#5 · Posted: 11 Jan 2006 21:19 · Edited by: yamilah
I hadn't noticed that, how odd! I know that the thumbnail covers are made seperately rather than being straight reduced scans of the covers (you can tell because some of the lettering is at a smaller size - The Black Island for instance) However, it seems a bit of effort went into it with the small plane being moved to fit after the "to Sydney".

Maybe initiates such as Mik or the aliens from 'another world of science'* (Flight 714 p.45) have just come back to play another 'big joke on all of us'?

* please search for related threads
Harrock n roll
#6 · Posted: 23 Feb 2006 17:21
As reported by edcharlesadams in this thread, here's a first look at the Flight 714 to Sydney cover in colour, scanned from the back cover of the re-lettered Tibet.
jock123
#7 · Posted: 24 Feb 2006 11:48
It will be interesting to see if this comes to pass - remembering that Broken Ear has been shown as Tintin and the Broken Ear in the thumbnails for years, without ever reaching a full blown cover…

I was surprised that this change wasn’t on the back of Congo: it must be very recent.
Harrock n roll
#8 · Posted: 24 Feb 2006 15:02
remembering that Broken Ear has been shown as Tintin and the Broken Ear in the thumbnails for years, without ever reaching a full blown cover

That has been corrected on the back of the newly re-lettered Tibet to read The Broken Ear. I'd swear to having seen a copy of Tintin and the Broken Ear once many years ago, but maybe I dreamed it!
jock123
#9 · Posted: 24 Feb 2006 15:18 · Edited by: jock123
Harrock n roll
I'd swear to having seen a copy of Tintin and the Broken Ear once many years ago, but maybe I dreamed it!
You know, I’ve never even considered that the thumbnail might have been correct when made, and that the cover was where the change was made. That’s food for thought - perhaps there was a run like that…
yamilah
#10 · Posted: 28 Feb 2006 15:37 · Edited by: yamilah
Harrock n roll (from the thread about 're-lettered Tibet')
The front cover is exactly as it was. The back is different in that it has thumbnails for all 24 books (like Congo which has just been published in English). And of course it has the re-titled "Flight 714 to Sydney". I doubt very much that any of the images would be modified, but you never know...

Caution is the parent of safety!
see http://www.geocities.com/thekingkandy/714_Sydney.jpg
Is the yellow spot on the right statue's mouth a reflection, a defect, or is it real? I suppose we'll have to wait for the book's release and to see the full size picture.

What could be said about this new translation of Vol 714 pour Sydney, in the light of Tintin's 'totally unique world'?

The 're-lettered' Tibet & Flight 714 're-titled' into Flight 714 to Sydney both index interferences on the WRITING SPACE**, namely the change of fonts inside the bubbles ('digitized' Tibet's characters) or the addition of something in the title (Flight 714 has been completed by the well known original to Sydney).

Such weird interferences aren't going to modify the general understanding of the books, and match a literary translation (interference on letters or language).

But what if interferences are done on the IMAGES' CHRONOLOGY (not to speak about TIME**)?
Hasn't any physical translation of image occurred on the cover to Flight 714 to Sydney, the East Indies'* 'spatiotemporal' adventure?

Could that new cover be some kind of password*?

* please search for related threads.
** see http://www.tintinologist.org/forums/index.php?action=vthread&forum=8&t opic=842

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!