Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Official Tintin books /

Flight 714: title translation

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Harrock n roll
#11 · Posted: 28 Feb 2006 16:16
yamilah Is the yellow spot on the right statue's mouth a reflection, a defect, or is it real?

No, it was a tiny bit of paper on my scanner, it's not on the ‘original’ (sorry 'bout that!)
jock123
#12 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 09:30
I was looking through my books last night, and going by the list of titles on the back, the Dutch version of the book is actually called Vlucht 741, without a Naar Sydney; perhaps MT&LL-C saw that, and thought it was a bit punchier?

Anyway, I’d imagine that the Dutch title came almost simultaneously with the French, so the dropping of the “to Sydney” wasn’t so much an English-language innovation after all.
Tintinrulz
#13 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 11:49
Flight 714 to Sydney doesn't sound very good English to me. Like you said Jock, maybe the English translators thought it was an improvement to just be Flight 714.
Harrock n roll
#14 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 12:03 · Edited by: Harrock n roll
the Dutch version of the book is actually called Vlucht 741, without a Naar Sydney

Good point jock (although I'm sure you mean 714). I just checked our tintinologist page for the book and the “Sydney” has been left out in several other languages; Afrikaans, Finnish, Hebrew, Indonesian, Malay, Sinhalese, Vietnamese. One or two of these editions have had their translations made from the English (I know Hebrew and Indonesian were, there may be others).

Anyway, I’d imagine that the Dutch title came almost simultaneously with the French, so the dropping of the “to Sydney” wasn’t so much an English-language innovation after all.

It's possible that MT and LLC saw the Dutch title, but it could just as well been the other way round as by this time (1968) Methuen were also releasing their books simultaneously with Casterman.
jock123
#15 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 12:09
Harrock n roll

I'm sure you mean 714
Ah, yes. Precisely! Shouldn’t try and type with boxing gloves on…

It's possible that MT and LLC saw the Dutch title, but it could just as well been the other way round as by this time (1968) Methuen were also releasing their books simultaneously with Casterman.

I was thinking more that the strip will have been serialized in both Tintin and Kuifje magazines at the same time, prior to the album; the title may have originated then.
Tintinrulz
#16 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 12:14
Jock? Your a StrongBad fan too? Awesome!
"I love all my emails, they are like my children."
He is a bit more of a rebel than Tintin though, isn't he?
Harrock n roll
#17 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 12:24
jock123 the strip will have been serialized in both Tintin and Kuifje magazines at the same time, prior to the album

Good point again. However, I just googled “Vlucht 714 Naar Sydney” and found this info (translated from Dutch):

22nd tale of Kuifje, published in Dutch initially under the title “Vlucht 714 Naar Sydney” in Kuifje-weekblad from 27-9-1966 to 28-11-1967.
jock123
#18 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 12:40
Tintinrulz
Your a StrongBad fan too?

Errrr… no, I don’t know who/ what that is, sorry! Are they a group?

Harrock n roll
I just googled “Vlucht 714 Naar Sydney”

I tried that earlier, and all I got was flight times to Sydney… ;-)

Ah well, at least we’ve established that there are other translations without the To Sydney, and it will be interesting to see if they fall into line too.

It just struck me too that the Afrikaans translation is probably taken from the Dutch - perhaps we are narrowing this title variation to two families of originals (from English and from Dutch)? It strikes me that there is quite an historic connection between The Netherlands and Malaysia, for example, so they could have taken the Dutch books for their original.
Tintinrulz
#19 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 13:31
StrongBad, a band? No, there are really clever Flash animation series with 80s pop culture references. There is a character called StrongBad who always gets asked in emails how he types with boxing gloves on his hands, so I thought similarities... I guess not. (lol)
Richard
UK Correspondent
#20 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 14:52
The depth of research carried out on this forum in such a small timeframe never ceases to amaze me!

I'd like to offer this piece for consideration - one of the pencil drawings for the cover of the book. So perhaps our title actually came before the French?

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!