Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Official Tintin books /

Flight 714: title translation

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

jock123
#21 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 15:10
Richard
I'd like to offer this piece for consideration

Ah! Now that is interesting! Thanks for letting us see that, Richard.

Given that many airports give flight announcements in English, I wonder if Flight 714 was considered as a title for the French book? It might have been thought to make it sound a little more globe-trotting and exotic.
yamilah
#22 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 15:38
Tintinrulz
Flight 714 to Sydney doesn't sound very good English to me. Like you said Jock, maybe the English translators thought it was an improvement to just be Flight 714.

Please what would then sound 'good English'? Flight 714 for Sydney, or another rendering?

Thanks in advance.
jock123
#23 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 16:17
I think it’s perfectly good to say “Flight 714 to Sydney”, but it doesn’t roll off the tongue particularly well; you could say “for”, but the same applies. I’d stick with the staus quo, personally, and leave it as is…
Harrock n roll
#24 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 16:51
The very last frame of the book has the announcement “DONG.. This is the final call for Qantas Flight 714 to Sydney...” So MT and LLC used “to Sydney” rather than “for”.

I also wonder whether the “to Sydney” was originally there to make the book title sound like more like a UFO abduction case. To make it sound as if something happened on the way to somewhere rather than just a flight number. I know that they weren't actually abducted on that particular flight, but it's a thought.
yamilah
#25 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 21:46 · Edited by: yamilah
Richard
I'd like to offer this piece for consideration

Most interesting document! Where does it come from?
Maybe there is some 'invisible' connection between the British and the Sondonesian Archipelago*?

And maybe Herge had long planned to duplicate Flight 714 into Flight 714 to Sydney, to match the long planned new Ile Noir*, and to draw the attention on some other 'invisible' detail?
Richard
UK Correspondent
#26 · Posted: 3 Mar 2006 17:34
yamilah
Most interesting document! Where does it come from?

It appears in Goddin's book Comment naît une BD; it also lists a number of alternate titles, showing that Hergé didn't tie himself down too early. I was surprised by how long Flight 714 must have been considered as a title, since it was drawn onto a proposed cover design.

Personally I prefer Flight 714, but there we go.
Harrock n roll
#27 · Posted: 3 Mar 2006 22:13
Richard it also lists a number of alternate titles, showing that Hergé didn't tie himself down too early

That's interesting. Would you mind repeating some of them here?

Personally I don't mind either title but it will always be Flight 714 to me!
Richard
UK Correspondent
#28 · Posted: 4 Mar 2006 13:10
Harrock n roll
That's interesting. Would you mind repeating some of them here?

This is a selection of them, in their original French. Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin:

• Tintin en Indonésie
• Tintin et le Milliardaire
• Tintin et les Gens d'ailleurs
• Tintin et le Monde renversé
• Le Grand Secret
• La Cité du Grand Secret
• L'Archipel du Grand Secret
• Tintin à la frontière du monde
• Tintin entre deux mondes
• Tintin et l'enfer de Kamjodene
• Les guerriers du dieu vert
• Pas d'os pour Milou
• Plus de whisky pour le Capitaine
• L'imprudence de Tintin
• Silence, Milou!
• Reveillez-vous, mille sabords!
• Pas par là, Tintin!
• Le nez de Tintin (I'm not making that up)
• Rasta traque Tintin
• Du tintouin pour Tintin
• Cap Mystère
• Visa pour l'Inconnu
• Vol interdit
• Escale à Djakarta
• Vol spécial pour Adélaïde

Then Hergé narrowed down the selection to three:

• La Cité du Grand Secret
• Escale à Djakarta
• Vol 728 pour Sydney

And we - of course - know which one he chose, but then he deliberated over the flight number, contemplating 718, 728, 722, 750 before finally settling on Vol 714 pour Sydney.

Some of those titles are really fascinating, we get a look at Hergé's thought processes through his contemplation of titles; a lot don't sound like traditional Tintin books.

What does everyone think- did Hergé make the right choice?
Harrock n roll
#29 · Posted: 4 Mar 2006 14:51
Fascinating, thanks for putting that together Richard. Some sound as if Hergé was just mucking about and plenty of them are downright bizarre - like “Tintin's Nose”, what's that all about then? “The Warriors of the Green God” ? ( Les guerriers du dieu vert) sounds quite Danikenesque. ”Tintin Between Two Worlds” (Tintin entre deux mondes) is another interesting one.

I believe it proves, from two of the three he pared down to (and some of the others too), that he was attempting to give it a title which disguised the actual story. “Escale à Djakarta” as a title would lead you to think it was set there. I think that shows his reasoning behind “Flight 714 to Sydney”. And it might have been Adelaide!

What does everyone think- did Hergé make the right choice?

Well, I quite like “Silence, Milou!” ;-)
Levent
#30 · Posted: 6 Nov 2006 23:29
I think that 714 may be a date, 7 and 14 means 14th July. Perhaps adventure begins on 14th July or it was an important date for Herge.

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!