Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Official Tintin books /

Flight 714: title translation

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 

MrCutts
#31 · Posted: 7 Nov 2006 02:22
To go back to the first page of this discussion and Harrock n Roll's comments about Broken Ear. I have just been looking at Egmont's website and the Hardback version of 'The Broken Ear' (as we know it) is titled 'Tintin and the Broken ear' and Amazon has it as 'Tintin and the Broken Ear' too.

Hardback cover of Flight 714 remains 'Flight 714' and no mention of Sydney at all

I must admit I haven't looked at Titin books in shops for a long time as have them all. The only recent one I looked at was Congo. I don't know what changes have been made. I probably know more about the changes to the Asterix titles in the last couple of years than I do of Tintin.

Shall have a look at them tomorrow in town.

Meant to say 'haven't looked at Tintin books for a long time'

Titin books are the ones I try not to look at on the top shelf :o)

Moderator Note: Combined two consecutive posts. Please try and avoid consecutive posts - you should always try to edit or update your first post when possible.

The Happy Tintinologist Team
Harrock n roll
#32 · Posted: 28 Nov 2006 20:12 · Edited by: Harrock n roll
As reported by Richard here the newly titled book has finally hit the shelves. Despite my reservations about the change I couldn’t resist buying myself a copy - I suppose it’s as near as we’re going to get to a *new* Tintin book in English for a while! As previously mentioned, it will be interesting to see whether other languages that omit the “...to Sydney” change their titles.

And before anyone asks, yes, the speech bubble text has been re-lettered with the new font including the long-tailed Zs. There is also a different font used for some of the sound effects like Baoum! and Atchoo!
yamilah
#33 · Posted: 28 Nov 2006 20:46
What is the strange contrail now connected with, in the completed title, please?
And what do the thumbnails read and look like, at the back of the book?
Harrock n roll
#34 · Posted: 28 Nov 2006 23:03
Here are a few scans from the re-titled book:
Front cover
Back cover
An excerpt from page 37 showing the new ‘sound effect’ font.

I also noticed that compared to the older edition the actual width of the book is a few millimetres wider, although the right-hand side (with the stalagmite) is slightly more cropped. (Note: the scan makes it look even more cropped because the book doesn’t quite fit on my scanner). This might be because the colour of the spine now bleeds further over the cover than on the older editions.

Also, hyphens have been added either side of the name at the top of the front cover, so it now says - HERGÉ -
Tintinrulz
#35 · Posted: 29 Nov 2006 05:21
Yah, for Adelaide!
yamilah
#36 · Posted: 29 Nov 2006 13:55
Thanks Harrock n roll for those scans. The letters are so irregular on the screen they look handwritten, but the print shows they are font types.
Harrock n roll
#37 · Posted: 29 Nov 2006 15:03 · Edited by: Harrock n roll
You’re welcome!
I guess it means we’ll have to update our books guide at some point. And, should Moulinsart and Egmont feel the need to “revert to the straight translation” (to quote from www.thetintinshop.uk.com) for the other books, we may need to add The Mysterious Star, The Temple of the Sun, They Walked on the Moon and Coke in Stock as well!

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!