Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Flight 714: Carreidas 160 flight altitude?

yamilah
#1 · Posted: 1 Mar 2006 14:15
According to you, what is the hijacked* 'Carreidas 160's altitude when it flies over Sondonesia?

Jet pilots' answers are welcome too!

Thanks in advance.

* please search for related thread.
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 12:20
I think the altitude of the Carreidas jet is about 1000 because they experience high levels of stress due to low air pressure. Herge's corpus reveals the spectra of hoobling to prove this.

*please search for why there needs to be hidden symbols behind every bloomin' thing Herge draws/writes
yamilah
#3 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 15:32
they experience high levels of stress due to low air pressure

Maybe you don't know what hypoxia is?
see http://www.mountainflying.com/hypoxia.htm

Maybe you are stressed by image reading, or just not interested?
Harrock n roll
#4 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 16:37
According to you, what is the hijacked* 'Carreidas 160's altitude when it flies over Sondonesia?

Sondonesia? The hijacked plane passes over Sumbawa with no altitude mentioned. I assume you mean the island of Pulau-pulau Bompa?

According to the English book the jet climbs to an altitude of 1000 ft when it reaches the island. It had been flying lower previously to avoid radar detection. Mind you, I don't know if it would have shown up on radar at that altitude...
labrador road 26
#5 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 16:54
According to the English book the jet climbs to an altitude of 1000 ft when it reaches the island. It had been flying lower previously to avoid radar detection. Mind you, I don't know if it would have shown up on radar at that altitude...

When I did my military service I was a radar observer for the swedish airforce and I would say that above 100 meters the planes would be visible. There is also groundlevel radar used by the airforce that would pick up a plane at about 10 meters altitude. The high velocity of the plane would though make it more hard to spot. When the Blackbird SR-71 passed nearby Sweden at mach 3 it could somewhat be mistaken for random interference made by weather since the jumps between each scan was so great.

And NO, the radar screens doesn't ping/beep when the planes show up. That's just in movies.
yamilah
#6 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 18:00
Harrock n roll
The hijacked plane passes over Sumbawa with no altitude mentioned.

That's true, but what about the clouds' types, below and around the aircraft?

see http://meteonew.free.fr/nuages/explications.htm
Harrock n roll
#7 · Posted: 3 Mar 2006 01:40
yamilah
That's true, but what about the clouds' types, below and around the aircraft?

OK, I'll take a wild guess and say that the plane was flying at around 9-12,000 m (30-40,000 ft) because the clouds in the book look like Cumulus. As they decend it looks like mid-level clouds, perhaps Altocumulus, at 6,000 m (20,000 ft).

I hope this is leading somewhere...

labrador road 26
I was a radar observer for the swedish airforce and I would say that above 100 meters the planes would be visible

Thanks for the info labrador road 26!

And NO, the radar screens doesn't ping/beep when the planes show up. That's just in movies.

It would make quite a racket when tracking about 20 aircraft, wouldn't it? ;-)
yamilah
#8 · Posted: 3 Mar 2006 22:57
OK, I'll take a wild guess and say that the plane was flying at around 9-12,000 m (30-40,000 ft) because the clouds in the book look like Cumulus.

The quoted site's lower middle clouds look like the ones in p.12 (frame A-2), so I would have rather said it flew much lower, let's say around 3,000 m, which would match with the absence of vapor trail, but then would the lift be enough, with the wings swinged in right back position?
labrador road 26
#9 · Posted: 4 Mar 2006 04:29
The quoted site's lower middle clouds look like the ones in p.12 (frame A-2), so I would have rather said it flew much lower, let's say around 3,000 m, which would match with the absence of vapor trail, but then would the lift be enough, with the wings swinged in right back position?

The standard height for commercial jetplanes are about 10.000 meters because of mainly two factors, the so called "jetcurrents" (or jetwinds) and that the thin air at that altitude makes less friction which reduces fuel consumption. When a plane flies lower the more lift it has. The thicker air makes more drag but increases lift. Vapor trails doesn't always happen when planes fly at high altitude. And the trail is actually condensed water not fuel vapors.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!