Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Alph-Art: Did Rastapopoulos die?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

midnightblueowl
#1 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 17:26
The question of whether Tintin died in Alph-Art is long disputed, but I have never heard the question asked, did Rastapopoulos also die in Alph-Art, considering that he almost dies in Red Sea Sharks?
jock123
#2 · Posted: 3 Mar 2006 09:37
midnightblueowl
did Rastapopoulos die in Alph-art

The question about whether Tintin dies or not can be asked because it is the point at which the story finishes in its current state - it is derived from what Hergé drew.

The question about Rastapopoulos hasn't been asked, most likely because it would be completely speculative - there is no indication that there was even the prospect of it. It's not even clear that Rastapopoulos is in the book!

One might as well ask if Wagg or Irma were going to die, or anyone of the cast.
sprabs
#3 · Posted: 4 Mar 2006 16:30
I am no expert but I would say in the world of Herge, Rastapopoulos represents evil, and is immortal just as Tintin is.

Hergé would not have been in a hurry to dispose of him.

$
Teak
#4 · Posted: 4 Mar 2006 18:35
Good question, midnightblueowl.

In Red Sea Sharks, Rastapopoulos escapes in a submarine (faking his own death); in Lake of Sharks he's caught and arrested; and in Flight 714 the last we see of him is climbing a ladder into an alien spacecraft. I don't remember the ending of the book that well, but I don't think any more of his fate was ever told.

If he was going to be the villain in Alph-Art, I think there'd need to be some explanation as to how get got away from the aliens and why they didn't just cure or imprison him.
In spite of Rodier's take on the story, I don't think Rastapopoulos would have died, or if he apparently died, we wouldn't have seen the body - thus leaving the door open for a possible return.
SingingGandalf
#5 · Posted: 17 Mar 2006 16:34
I doubt it, I don't think Herge would kill off any main character, even a baddy. Little children might be reading!
Stas Werno
#6 · Posted: 18 Mar 2006 07:12
I doubt it, I don't think Herge would kill off any main character, even a baddy. Little children might be reading!

tintin is one of the few mainstream 'childrens' comics where main characters do actually die.

look at the broken ear for example.
SingingGandalf
#7 · Posted: 18 Mar 2006 09:15
look at the broken ear for example.

Yes, but they weren't characters that are regularly in the books like Casafiore and Calculus. That's what I meant.
caleb
#8 · Posted: 28 Dec 2006 19:35
I think that Hergé actually changed his mind after awhile and made it so Rastapopoulos was not Endaddine Akass.
pokemon
#9 · Posted: 30 Jun 2007 07:39
midnightblueowl has got a weird idea.
I don't think Rastapopoulos made an appearance in Alph-Art. He didn't die in Red Sea Sharks, but I am sure he was killed in Flight 714.
amierah loves beatles
#10 · Posted: 30 Jun 2007 07:48
Hi, everyone

I'm new here and I think my brother recomended me here as I shared a little interest in Tintin. Well, I never red Alph-Art but, my brother did and told me stories of it. One of his Alph-Art stories tells me that Rastapopoulos died in another Alph-Art story by Yves Rodier. He also said that he expressed disgust in it.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

This topic is closed.