Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Red Sea Sharks: what does the Arabic dialogue mean?

ping000
#1 · Posted: 6 Jul 2004 07:28
Hey there, I'm new to these boards but a fan of Tintin since childhood - and I've got a question of my own.

In "The Red Sea Sharks", Tintin and Haddock are dressed in burkas when they come upon an Arabic woman. She says something in Arabic and then removes Haddock's veil! What does she say? Your response would be greatly appreciated; Thanks!

P.S. What does the officer say when he deports Tintin and Haddock when they first arrive in Wadesdah?
marsbar
#2 · Posted: 8 Jul 2004 14:56
Welcome to our community, ping000! The answers to your questions can be found in the trivia section of our guide for The Red Sea Sharks.
varun0883
#3 · Posted: 18 Jan 2007 14:43
Its not clear.
Pharaoh
#4 · Posted: 9 May 2007 14:13
The original poster has probably gone 3 years ago, but I'll answer this for general benifit.

The Arabic used here is not relly accurate and written in a funny way, so thi may look strange indeed.

First line, when she saw them coming to the well "Good morning, hope 'he' will make your morning full of good, Laila" ("He" is an arabic expression refering to "Allah" which is Islam's God and "Laila" is a common arabic female name).

Second line, speaking to Haddock "can you please help me fill the ..." (After "the" there is a word that does not mean anything, probably Herge meant the water pot)

Third one, screaming and pulling the Burku "Why are you so snub? Show me your face"

HTH :)
ThompsonandThomson
#5 · Posted: 27 Jul 2010 12:11
Moved from separate thread

There are some Arabic texts in The Red Sea Sharks. While Tintinologist translates some of them in the book guide, I think it doesn't inculde all of them, such as the ones in P17 and P28. Is there any Arabic-speaker who can translate them? Thanks.
Arnyxx
#6 · Posted: 15 Sep 2010 02:11
And what about the bad language used by the rival sheikh - I forget the name , he's rival of Abdullah's father - when the helicopter drops leaflet from sky onto his head?
Even Snowy warns Tintin not to listen to it, even in Arabic! Please somebody help by translating it!
ThompsonandThomson
#7 · Posted: 17 Sep 2010 14:00
The answer of Arnyxx's question is here. However, while this list is complete, the other book guides are incomplete about the Arabic dialogues.
Harrock n roll
#8 · Posted: 17 Sep 2010 16:56
ThompsonandThomson:
The answer of Arnyxx's question is here.

Thanks for that ThompsonandThomson, I've never actually seen the page before!

Very interesting how Hergé went back over his work and made sure all the Arabic made sense. I suppose he'd had letters from children who could read Arabic asking him what on earth it all meant.\

I'm also quite taken with the revelation that the letter in Land of Black Gold is signed by "Bab Al Ameer", the name meaning "The door of the princess".

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!