Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Destination Moon: Numbers on jumpsuits?

waveofplague
#1 · Posted: 12 Jun 2007 17:27
Hi, in Destination Moon, what's the meaning/purpose of the numbered patches that adorn the characters' jumpsuits? Captain Haddock is 56, Thompson and Thomson are 61 and 62... Any idea?

Upon further review, Captain Haddock changes out of his jumpsuit and returns to the old seadog anchor jersey and usual black pants. Tintin also appears to have changed into his usual clothing later on.
jockosjungle
#2 · Posted: 12 Jun 2007 19:00
It's a ranking I think, Calculus is much lower number.

R
Balthazar
#3 · Posted: 12 Jun 2007 20:57
It could be ranking, or the numbers could be assigned in the order that people join the project and are given their suit. This theory would also explain Calculus's number and explain the Thompsons having two consecutive high numbers. Are Tintin's and Haddock's numbers consecutive? I don't have the book to hand.
Ranko
#4 · Posted: 12 Jun 2007 21:05
I think you are right, Balthazar. I believe Baxter wears number 1, whereas Calculus has number 9.
Wolff 14, Haddock 56 and Tintin 57. I thought it was the order in which they joined the project also.
waveofplague
#5 · Posted: 13 Jun 2007 00:21
Thanks! Mystery solved.
harishankar
#6 · Posted: 13 Jun 2007 03:34
Never noticed the numbers before. Learn something new about Tintin on the forum every time I visit.
tintinspartan
#7 · Posted: 13 Jun 2007 05:18
Well, it's ranking in the centre. Thompsons were 61, 62. Mr. Baxter is 1, which means the most highly respected of the centre as Director-General there. Calculus is 9 has he played a vital role in the project and must be highly respected by the centre. Tintin and Haddock were given number 56(Haddock) and 57(Tintin) because although they are visitors there, they are joining Calculus to be the first men on the moon in that flick. They are given a lower rank as they don't play a part in the building of the rocket. Thompsons are just visitors and an accidental addition to the batch bound for the moon.

P.S: Tintin's jumpsuit number is the same train number that I took to school each day! What a coincidence!
jock123
#8 · Posted: 13 Jun 2007 12:08
tintinspartan
Well, it's ranking in the centre. Thompsons were 61, 62. Mr. Baxter is 1, which means the most highly respected of the centre as Director-General there.
I don't think the ranking aspect of it makes as much sense as it being the sequence in which people join the project - I mean the prospect of them all having to cut off and re-sew their patches should someone higher ranking than the detectives, but lower than Calculus, join late on, or there being a swapping of perhaps incorrectly sized uniforms just doesn't seem practical (Baxter: "Right everybody, I'd like to introduce Dr. Von Braun. Dr. Von Braun'll be joining us as, um, well, number 10, I think, so those of you from 10 upwards, if you'd all just like to pop out of your boiler-suits for a moment, and swap with the next person one up the corporate ladder from you...").

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!