Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Tintin in the Congo: differences between editions?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

marsbar
#11 · Posted: 21 Mar 2008 23:35
tinkat wrote:
I think I was lucky. It must have been sitting on the shelf for a while. I was told it had some shelf damage but they could not order another because it was of print so they gave me a discount.

Yes, you were lucky: I spotted the book at Abbey's some time last year, but the staff there refused to give me a discount for the slight damage. It is good to know that the book now belongs to a member of Tintinologist.org. :-D

O.K., let us get back on topic.
calculite
#12 · Posted: 9 Dec 2011 03:22
I want to purchase Tintin in the Congo.

I see both a black and white edition and a color edition listed – I am more interested in the B&W book, but I would like to know the specific differences between them. Can anybody answer?

Moderator Note: Please do a forum search before starting a new topic - this thread your message has been moved to actually has exactly the same title as you gave yours, so it came up very quickly.

You’ll also find several other threads describing a lot about the versions if you just search using “Tintin in the Congo” as your search term, which may help you to make your decision.

The Tintinologist Team
Roby
#13 · Posted: 21 Oct 2017 14:31
I have the 2005 English edition in color. Is there anything different in the Casterman edition? Does it have the same translation? Does it have the "uncensored" killing of the rhino?
Thanks
snowybella
#14 · Posted: 26 Oct 2017 01:50
Roby

I have the 2016/2017 Casterman edition, and I don't think there are any differences with the Egmont and Casterman editions. There is the foreword, the "censored" version of the rhino (the rhino accidently firing Tintin's gun) and the inside says it's been translated by Leslie Lonsdale-Cooper and Michael Turner, just like all the other books. There is the "collector's edition" belly-band, is in hardback (with the character gallery) and, best of all, the picture of Herge's characters (without Popol and Virginny) on an island on the back.

snowybella
jock123
#15 · Posted: 26 Oct 2017 10:03
Thanks, snowybella! I don't have a copy of the Casterman version, so although I would have guessed it was the same version of the story and translation, I couldn't be sure!
snowybella:
best of all, the picture of Herge's characters (without Popol and Virginny) on an island on the back

Ah - that's definitely useful to know as a means of identification! What does it say on Tintin's noticeboard - if anything?
Roby
#16 · Posted: 26 Oct 2017 11:43
snowybella

Can't thank you enough for the detailed answer.
snowybella
#17 · Posted: 26 Oct 2017 11:51
jock123

The noticeboard on the outside back of the book just list the titles of all the Tintin adventures, with no mention of any publishers. I think it also includes Soviets and Alph-Art, but I haven't got it on hand right now.

snowybella
jock123
#18 · Posted: 26 Oct 2017 12:42
Thank you again!

snowybella:
I think it also includes Soviets and Alph-Art,

My guess would be almost certainly "yes" - they are certainly part of the official series, especially since they were released in the standard format.
dr01
#19 · Posted: 26 Aug 2022 02:30
The colorized versions were re-written and sanitized for colonial stereotypes- Belgian colonial attitudes towards Congolese and big game hunting.

Posted: 26 Aug 2022 10:25 · Edited by: dr01
Tintin Noob
I believe that the Casterman Color editions are all the same-ie re-edited and re-drawn in 1970.

[Moderator's note: combined two consecutive posts.]
dr01
#20 · Posted: 12 Dec 2022 01:39
The covers on the earlier Casterman editions were different . The 1931 edition has Tintin and Snowy in the Jungle with a big cat hidden in the background . Al the other editors have him riding in a vehicle.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!