Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Seven Crystal Balls: An early appearance by Wagg?

Elliotfarsan
#1 · Posted: 27 Jan 2009 11:35
According to Swedish Tintin experts, the first appearance of Seraphin Lampion (Jolyon Wagg) is in The Secret Weapon.

But isn't this the same Seraphin that sits in the audience in the theatre in The Seven Crystal Balls and gets his first name and his passport number read by the psychic woman?
NikkiRoux
#2 · Posted: 30 Jan 2009 06:51
I thought his first appearance was in The Calculus Affair?
Elliotfarsan
#3 · Posted: 30 Jan 2009 08:21
Yes The Calculus Affair is what I meant. It's The Secret Weapon in Swedish.

Still, take a look at that man in Seven Crystal Balls.
Balthazar
#4 · Posted: 30 Jan 2009 11:13
In the UK edition of The Seven Crystal Balls at least, the man in the audience only gets his first name divined by Yamilah, not his passport number. The woman after him gets the contents of her handbag divined, including her driving licence number, which could be a passport number in the French original or Swedish version.

Anyway, assuming that we're talking about the same man (the first person the Fakir picks), his first name is Augustus. Again that's in the English, so I'm not sure what his name is in the French original, but he surely doesn't look much like Seraphin Lampion/ Jolyon Wagg at all.

He's wearing glasses, he's got a much fuller moustache, his head's bald on top, and his face is a different shape. He does look quite a lot like the man in the train at the beginning of the book who tells Tintin that no good will come of digging up tombs, but I doubt he's meant to be the same man, just a similar middle-aged ordinary bloke.

All the above is assuming we're talking about the book, of course. If your question was refering to the animated cartoon version, Elliot, then I haven't seen it so wouldn't know whether the makers of that sneaked in an early cameo appearance for Lampion/ Wagg in that theatre scene or not.

Hope that helps!
Elliotfarsan
#5 · Posted: 30 Jan 2009 11:18
Thank you Balthazar!

I haven't read the book in a very long time but I just saw the animated cartoon and that's where that man is named Seraphin and looks exactly like Seraphin Lampion. I have to check the book now.
cigars of the beeper
#6 · Posted: 31 Jan 2009 15:42
I always think of "Augustus" as sort of the generic man in Tintin. His prescence at the theater in The Seven Crystal Balls is one of three appearances in that book.

He was the man talking to Tintin on the first page, and also someone seen reading a newspaper later.

He was also on the airplane in The Calculus Affair, pointing out to the passenger on the plane next to him that she had a piece of sticking plaster on her hat.

I cannot presently think of any of his other appearances, but there are probably more.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!