Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Official Tintin books /

Land of Black Gold: Tintin following tyre marks in the desert?

jayesh_gokhale
#1 · Posted: 26 Sep 2004 18:05
In The Land of Black Gold when the Thompsons are driving round in the desert in circles following their own tyre marks, it is shown that Tintin is also following the same tyre marks right from the time there was only one tyre mark. Following the marks, slowly he comes across many tyre marks and then deduces that somebody is following his own trails.

Now with Tintin and the Thompsons both following the same route and thompsons the two not meeting each other is only possible if their velocities are similar. However thompsons are on jeep and tintin is walking - so if they have made 4-5 rounds (as shown in the book), they have to come across each other in the second round itself.
Jyrki21
#2 · Posted: 26 Sep 2004 20:07
Now with Tintin and the Thompsons both following the same route and thompsons the two not meeting each other is only possible if their velocities are similar. However thompsons are on jeep and tintin is walking - so if they have made 4-5 rounds (as shown in the book), they have to come across each other in the second round itself.

I've noticed this too. I just suspended my disbelief and decided they were driving really, really slowly. :)
Harrock n roll
#3 · Posted: 26 Sep 2004 20:46
I don't follow this line of reasoning. At the point which Tintin finds the single tyre mark the Thompsons were not driving around in circles. Tintin then joins the 'loop' and the Thompsons, who have already made 4 or 5 circuits, catch him up. They wouldn't have met him until he joined the loop.
finlay
#4 · Posted: 26 Sep 2004 22:36
Tintin comes across the extra tyre marks very suddenly; he does not deduce that someone is following him, rather that he had come across "a motorway".

Also the Thompsons made seven circuits. "Another one! That makes the seventh!"
jayesh_gokhale
#5 · Posted: 28 Sep 2004 09:51
In Page 29, frame 5 (Row 2, Col 1), Tintin is seen to be following Just one Tyre Mark.

Page 29, frame 7 (Row 2, Col 3) , Thompsons meet their own tyre marks for the first time.

Subsequently thompsons keep following their tyre marks.

Page 30, frame 8 (Row 3, Col 2), Tintin is also shown to be following the multiple tyre marks.

So it is apparent that Tintin and Thompsons were going on the same circular (closed loop) route and with a major difference in their speeds, it is highly improbable that they meet after the seventh round that too when the thompsons are coming back.

However as Jyrki21 said that with the Thompsons we can expect that they were driving very very slowly :)
Harrock n roll
#6 · Posted: 28 Sep 2004 10:11
I think you're making the mistake of thinking that Tintin was part of the loop from when he came across the first tyre marks. He doesn't actually join the loop until page 30, frame 8 at which point the Thompsons had made seven circuits - so their speeds are irrelevant.
Archie
#7 · Posted: 7 Oct 2004 08:41
I dont have my books right now to reffer to the problem :( But i do remember pondering on it sometime back.
At first i thought that there was a mistake in the book but i think Harocks argument is correct.
When tintin first came across the single tracks, the thompsons were going in thier own circle ahead of him. And maybe then tintin met up with the circle which included several tracks by that time
kirthiboy
#8 · Posted: 1 Nov 2004 10:55 · Edited by: kirthiboy
Actually Harrock is exactly right. The thomsons were at first going in a direction. When they lost their way, they kept on going in loops thinking they are following a motorway. While they were doing their 8th loop, after finishing the seventh they meet Tintin. And Tintin himself never does any loop but just crosses a little distance of the loop when the Thomsons were doing their 8th loop. Confusing, huh?

What is great about Herge is how he used to point out references to the readers to explain the event: Tintin's own explanation of same tyre marks prove a vehicle is going in rounds. And thomsons loosing a petrol canister, finding a new one not realizing its their own canister. These techniques are what made reading Tintin an awesome experience. :)

Note: if you want to continue discussing on Herge's Techniques, please create a new topic :)
finlay
#9 · Posted: 4 Nov 2004 22:54
Besides, Tintin and the Thompsons do come across one another; during the sandstorm. So that's really all irrelevant in some way or another.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!