Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Red Sea Sharks: "Stop, in the name of Guv!"

Harrock n roll
#1 · Posted: 6 Nov 2004 18:30
I was just looking at the Tintin characters guide on this site and noticed that "Guv" is listed as a member of Dawson's gang (The Red Sea Sharks, page 12).

I think this is a British idiom (like Sunny Jim) short for "guv'nor" or governor, meaning boss. The character is speaking to his boss, Dawson - "Morning, guv. Seen the Reporter today?..."

Nitpickin' Chris
marsbar
#2 · Posted: 7 Nov 2004 02:20
You actually read the guide? ;-) Well spotted, Harrock n roll! I also believe that "Guv" (guv'nor/guvner) stands for boss here. Let's wait for a few more responses before we amend the guide.
jockosjungle
#3 · Posted: 7 Nov 2004 10:08
I concur with Chris, Guv is short for Guv'nor.
Rik
jock123
#4 · Posted: 8 Nov 2004 00:06
Me too - he's talking to his boss. I think it should be corrected. Well spotted!
rastapopoulos
#5 · Posted: 8 Nov 2004 09:40
Yep...I agree too, if your going to change Sunny Jim then you should change this too. It may be worth checking out what he calls the boss in french. Guv is a 'Cockney' sort of slang that MT and LLC would have used as 'gangster' talk.
finlay
#6 · Posted: 1 Dec 2004 19:39
LOL! It's quite funny when you mistake them for real names like that.... :P

On the subject of the list, you might want to make it more navigatable, eg. making links from one letter to the next, and putting all the names in one list that can also be downloaded.

It also seems pretentious to use "Début" when the character in question has a role in only one story, especially those who are supporting characters who appear in just one frame. And you missed the acute accent on one of the characters in the "C" list; his name escapes me because it's so unimportant.
marsbar
#7 · Posted: 2 Dec 2004 00:25
Thanks for your feedback, finlay: I don't know how the proof-readers and I could all have missed the mistake when putting the guide together from contributions made by readers from around the world all those years ago!

Would the Tintin character who is missing an acute accent kindly step forward so I can see you!?

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!