Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Black Island: Where is Eastdown (previously Eastbury)?

anglogalaico
#1 · Posted: 26 Oct 2011 00:55
I'm certain the fictional town of Eastdown in the latter editions of Black Island is based on Eastbourne (also in Sussex at the Eastern extremity of the South Downs and the only town in the county that sounds anything like Eastdown)... the only illustrated evidence I can see is the nearby cliffs, which look a lot like Beachy Head, near Eastbourne. Has anyone come across anything that supports this?
shangas
#2 · Posted: 26 Oct 2011 11:15
Eastbourne is an actual town in the south of England. Whether or not it was the model for the town used in the story, I've no idea...Interesting theory though.
anglogalaico
#3 · Posted: 26 Oct 2011 11:50
Eastbourne certainly is a town in Sussex. The only locations named Eastdown seem to be in Devon and East Down in Northern Ireland.

Also, the Sussex County Council sign shows the place names "Eastdown 4 [miles]" and somewhere ending in "..uckling" which could refer to Uckfield, on the river Uck (with a regularly graffitti'd sign!) near Eastbourne (although it also reminds me of Fulking, in West Sussex). The illustrations seem to clearly represent the South Downs landscape of coastal Sussex.

Also, although it's one of the most common pub names, there are several White Hart pubs near Eastbourne, including one in Uckfield and another in Hailsham, not too far from Uckfield. The ferry port of Newhaven (which would require a train journey more like the one Tintin makes to get to Eastdown to get to Eastbourne than would be the case from Dover, i.e., train from Newhaven to Lewes and then a cab or onward train to Eastbourne) also has a White Hart.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!