Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Tintin and the Picaros: An appearance by Hergé?

GSC
#1 · Posted: 4 Dec 2011 21:35
Hi.

I've been reading Tintin and the Picaros (for the billionth time).

I've just got to the part were all the reporters come to Marlinspike to interview Tintin and Co. about the Castafiore affair, when I noticed something.

Among the reporters, there is a man that looks a lot like Hergé (the man with the dark-blond hair).

I doubt that it is him, because by the time he wrote Picaros, he didn't look young anymore.

Does anybody know if it really is Hergé?
jock123
#2 · Posted: 5 Dec 2011 10:11
No, I'm fairly certain it isn't.

Hergé drew himself repeatedly over the years, and had a characteristic way of portraying himself; none of the reporters is drawn in this way. It varied slightly, just as his cartooning style developed, but consistently emphasized his large nose.

There are cameo appearances by Hergé in the books, which you will find in this guide; personally I'd also add the car mechanic who has his Amilcar stolen as being another self-portrait.

Ellipse-Nelvana used Hergé's drawings of himself to create additional appearances in their cartoons, and there is a list of those too.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!