Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Alph-Art: Does Haddock become a hippie?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

dupont804
#11 · Posted: 1 Dec 2013 21:50
This doesn't relate hugely, but I also read somewhere that he shaves his beard off also! Tintin has a Peace Symbol on the side of his helmet in Picaros too!
GSC
#12 · Posted: 24 Dec 2013 20:34
dupont804
Wait, when did he shave his beard? I don't remember that anywhere.
dupont804
#13 · Posted: 9 Jun 2014 07:38
GSC
He was going to near the end of Alph-Art, I believe. But Hergé passed away with only plans of this. Sorry this reply was about half a year late!
BlackIsland
#14 · Posted: 1 Dec 2014 17:57
I wonder about this; had Haddock made a radical transformation, I wonder how it would have sat with fans if the book was finished?

Hergé was always thinking about things, he had that type of brain.
jock123
#15 · Posted: 2 Dec 2014 10:25
BlackIsland:
had Haddock made a radical transformation, I wonder how it would have sat with fans

I'm not sure that I'd have worried; I don't imagine that Hergé was considering it a permanent alteration to the Captain, just one of his many passing fancies, like his spell as a monocled country gentleman.

If there had been more comic mileage in it, he might have carried it across into another book, but just as likely the Captain would have cast his eye about, and come up with some new hobby to pursue or lifestyle to try.

In regard to how dated or not the idea of Haddock as a hippie would have been, well it could be just a facet of the length of time over which the book develped - and the fact that development probaby ground to a halt pretty much around 1978 or 79 - so Hergé might have been forgiven for not putting punks in. And Punk was only one "tribe" at the time - there was also a Mod revival (Two-Tone, ska, etc.) and a Fifties thing too (Rocky Sharpe, Darts, Flash Cadillac etc.), plus the ongoing success of disco, rock and what have you. Punk may be the one which the "cool" rock press and their disciples wanted to promote, but the charts were far more diverse.

Even Plastic Bertrand was not what he seemed, as although he's a classically trained composer and musician, who studied at a conservatory, he wasn't actually on the record of Ça plane pour moi - it was recorded and sung by its author Lou Deprijck, who then provided the vocals for Bertrand's next four albums.

A long-running legal dispute has followed, with a court ruling that - in spite of not being involved at the outset - Plastic Bertrand, not Deprijck, had a right to claim to be the song's "artist"; this decision was later overturned.

I did once read that Deprijck may have written Ça plane pour moi as an anti-Punk joke, to show that a really bad song, sung badly, could fool a Punk audience into thinking it was somehow good, but I haven't been able to find a reference for this, so take it with a grain of salt.

Anyway, after that meandering aside, getting back to Haddock's hippie phase, I might also suggest that we consider that the change in many ways was echoing Hergé's own changing taste - he, like the Capitain, underwent a move away from the tailored English suits and upper-middle class art circles, to being more casual and moving with a more Bohemian set, as well as opening up to popular music from groups such as Pink Floyd, and perhaps dabbling in drugs.

It's not beyond credibility that he was self-aware enough to see that while this lifestyle change might have been new to him, he could still be being held to be an out-of-touch oldie to the truly young, and that the circles which he moved in were in many ways as ridiculous as the stuffy bourgeoise life he thought he was leaving. Haddock's fish-out-of-water exploration of the "in crowd" could have been a mirror to his own, exposing his own foibles to ridicule as he had done before.
BlackIsland
#16 · Posted: 19 Jan 2015 14:47
jock123
Could be. Most of the time with things like this fans wouldn't want to see that type of change as radical as it would be...especially if it was over the top. When he became that country gentleman it last for a very short time. Becoming a hippie and shaving his beard off would be really strange. It wouldn't have fit his personality because he was an older irritable guy with a cool vocabulary.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!