Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Tintin in Tibet: Tintin tricking Haddock?

Siamesefan
#1 · Posted: 22 Jan 2012 19:39
Tintin in Tibet has a strong claim to being the best album. But I do wonder about the bit on the top of page 38 (Methuen edition).

Tintin has earlier told Haddock that Haddock needn't come, but when Haddock decides to turn back, Tintin tricks him into coming further. By getting him drunk.

As it turns out, Tintin will need the Captain. But he couldn't know that. Haddock's been a liability so far. And if he did believe that, why not just tell Haddock so? Haddock would certainly have come with him then.

With most people, you'd think they'd had a slight panic attack at being left in the middle of the Himalayas, but that doesn't seem in character for our favourite reporter.
rose_of_pollux
#2 · Posted: 22 Jan 2012 20:24
Ah, yes, that scene. I am of two minds regarding that scene.

Siamesefan:
As it turns out, Tintin will need the Captain. But he couldn't know that ... And if he did believe that, why not just tell Haddock so?

That's the part that I find intriguing. As you say, it isn't in Tintin's character to be asking for help--he's normally the team leader, the take-charge one. He's proven himself to be a more-than-capable solo adventurer so many times before. In addition, he's been trying to convince the Captain that he'll be fine, that everything will be fine, and that they'll succeed in their rescue mission. If Tintin was to ask for help, it would be a sign of his own confidence fading--something that the Captain (who is already concerned for him) would likely pick up on--and that could go two ways: either the Captain would be worried enough to go along with him as planned, or he just might be worried enough to drag Tintin back to Marlinspike for his own safety. Because if Tintin is worried, everyone should be worried, which may have been Tintin's motivation for not asking the Captain to come along directly.

Siamesefan:
but when Haddock decides to turn back, Tintin tricks him into coming further. By getting him drunk.

...And that's the part I don't like. Not so much the trick as it was getting him drunk--ever since Crab, Tintin has been the one to try to keep the Captain's drinking in moderation, and seeing him use the Captain's biggest vice/weakness against him was... a bit underhanded, especially when you consider that Allan, the Captain's archnemesis, had been using the Captain's alcoholism against him prior/during Crab and tried to do again in Red Sea Sharks.

Of course, Tintin later redeems himself by refusing to cut the Captain's lifeline when he orders him to, so it's all good. That more than made up for that trickery scene!
Siamesefan
#3 · Posted: 22 Jan 2012 21:56
I agree the later scenes all more than make up for that little bit!

Thanks for the

rose_of_pollux:
if Tintin is worried, everyone should be worried, which may have been Tintin's motivation for not asking the Captain to come along directly.

That is a very good explanation. Thank you, rose_of_pollux
mct16
#4 · Posted: 23 Jan 2012 01:49
After his experience of falling in the cave during the snow storm, Tintin may have felt having a companion with him was necessary in case of further trouble, especially as he's about to make a dangerous climb in order to reach the scarf.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!