Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Calculus Affair: What does Arturo - the maniac car driver - say?

rodney
#1 · Posted: 19 Jan 2013 05:14
I find the scene one of the funniest in the book, there are many pointers which make me laugh here!
Arturo does say a lot of Italian words which I have never understood (Basta, Va Bene, Addio, Eccola) this is just a few during the drive that Tinin and the Captain endure.

Does anyone know the words Arturo does use within the journey? Are they actual Italian works or slang or some sort?
jock123
#2 · Posted: 19 Jan 2013 15:10
I don’t speak any Italian either, but it was the work of moments to check with an on-line translation page (in this case Google Translate), and find that yes, they are indeed Italian, and no indication that they are slang.
basta = “enough”/ “that’ll do”
va bene = “okay”
addio = “good-bye”
eccola = “here it is”

I’ve not got the book to hand, so I’ll leave you to work out the rest!
rodney
#3 · Posted: 20 Jan 2013 02:33
Thanks Jock, very handy to know!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!