Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Official Tintin books /

Cigars of the Pharaoh: Why is Sarcophagus in India?

Die Schwarze Insel
#1 · Posted: 30 Aug 2017 09:42
Hello,
I'm new to this forum. I'm Austrian, so my English is likely to be a bit odd (I'm always happy about corrections). My question, which I couldn't find answered before in the forum, is: When Tintin meets Professor Sarcophagus again in India, why is the professor there? Weren't the villains plotting to mummify him in the grave of the Pharaoh? So why did they change their plan and gave him the mad-making drug, and why on earth is he now in the jungle of India?
Mikael Uhlin
#2 · Posted: 31 Aug 2017 16:50 · Edited by: Mikael Uhlin
Die Schwarze Insel:
When Tintin meets Professor Sarcophagus again in India, why is the professor there? Weren't the villains plotting to mummify him in the grave of the Pharaoh? So why did they change their plan and gave him the mad-making drug, and why on earth is he now in the jungle of India?

The real reason is of course that this is an early adventure created when Hergé more or less was improvising the story from one week to another. However, in the present version of the story we can see that Allan Thompson picks up Sarcophagus in the Red Sea (page 12) shortly before recieving orders to head for India. Apparently, the drug smuggling cartel has an Indian base in the area around Gaipajama (Rawhajpoutalah), which is where Sarcophagus ends up. Then - for some really strange reason (actually Hergé improvising again) - Tintin happens to crash the Arabian plane he "borrowed" in exactly the same spot of the Indian subcontinent!
mct16
#3 · Posted: 1 Sep 2017 00:27 · Edited by: mct16
Sarcophagus has always struck me as so eccentric that there did not seem to be much point in killing and mummifying him after his recapture by Alan. Besides mummification is a complex procedure and would have required an expert who was at the tomb where the smugglers were based.

Alan was headed for India anyway so it would have been simple enough to make Sarcophagus fully mad and then just abandon him in the jungle to his painting the symbol of Khi-Osh on the trees and the mercy of local animals.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 12 Sep 2017 22:21
Mikael Uhlin:
Tintin happens to crash the Arabian plane he "borrowed" in exactly the same spot of the Indian subcontinent!

The Ellipse-Nelvana series manages to sort this out, and the other issues of coincidence, by inserting a bit more information into the scene where Tintin is in Colonel Fuad's office, looking for clues.
He finds documents which point to where in India the supply chain is located, and this is where he decides to head when he steals the 'plane; he is "reunited" with Sarcophagus in India, because that's where the whole operation was heading.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!