Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Egmont: Tintin hardcovers not printed in the UK anymore?

werk
#1 · Posted: 28 Jun 2018 22:27
Hi all,
I recently purchased two Tintin books from an internet seller. They are "The Secret of The Unicorn" and "Tintin and the Picaros". They are hardcover books.
I have several other hardcover Tintin books published by Egmont and they're all printed in UK. However this time they are printed in Slovenia and China respectively.
Is it true that UK no longer print Tintin books or I just bought the faked ones. The seller mentioned the country of manufacture is UK though.
Best!
jock123
#2 · Posted: 30 Jun 2018 14:14
That's interesting - do you have an idea of when your U.K. printed books were manufactured, because I don't think I was ever aware of them being printed (as opposed to published) in the U.K.?

My current Egmont copy of Picaros, from around 2003, was printed in Spain; I had thought that the vast majority of the books for global distribution were printed by Casterman, first in Tournai in Belgium, then at their Spanish facility, then Eastern Europe (so Slovenia), then China.

In law, the place of publication and the place of printing are separate and distinct things (although they could be the same, they don't have to be); the place of publication is the offices of the publisher - the company responsible for the content of the book.

Tintin books are published by several companies around the world, with the companies being licensed to sell books in various areas.

I think in this case the eBay seller wasn't making the distinction between where the publisher was located, and where the book was made.

I obviously can't be certain, but I would think it's an odds-on bet that your books are legitimate. :-)
dr01
#3 · Posted: 26 Aug 2022 03:06
All my recent editions by Egmont and Casterman are printed in China. But the Tintin in America and Tintin in the Land of the Soviets Casterman B&W Fascimile editions are printed in Spain.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!