Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Official Tintin books /

Explorers on the Moon: Haddock's sea-shanty

snowybella
#1 · Posted: 8 Jun 2019 12:53
(Please excuse me if there's already a topic about this - I searched and found nothing!)

I was lurking about (or, more appropiately in this situation, "a-roving") on Wikisource for a few minutes, when I found this.

I haven't got my copy at hand, but unless my memory is playing tricks on me, can somebody confirm if the first line of the chorus what Captain Haddock sings when he's orbiting around Adonis in the English edition of Explorers on the Moon?
mct16
#2 · Posted: 8 Jun 2019 18:58
Confirmed, that is the song that he sings in the English version.

In the original French it was an old 19th-century Breton song about sailing to South America.

In "Red Rackham's Treasure" when they are taking the idol of Sir Francis back to the ship, Haddock is reciting "The Secret Of The Sea" by Henry Longfellow. In the original French it is "Le Lac" by Lamartine.
Balthazar
#3 · Posted: 8 Jun 2019 20:36
If anyone unfamiliar with the song is curious about how it sounds, here's a YouTube link to a group (The Roaring Trowmen) singing it.

https://youtu.be/b2JO-i2aPs8

Pleasingly, at least two of the group seem to have quite a good Captain Haddock look about them! :)

From the description, I see that they're based in the historic Bristol pub, the
Llandoger Trow, said to be RL Stevenson's real-life inspiration for the Admiral Benbow pub in Treasure Island.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!