Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

The "Moon" Books: Hergé's scientific research?

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Harrock n roll
#21 · Posted: 11 Apr 2005 16:53
...the rest of the sequence where Tintin does appear to leap out of the rocket and catch him

I don't see it that way at all. Tintin is rather leaning into the air-lock to retrieve Snowy. The viewpoint in this panel is from inside the airlock. Everything is completely dark save for the light coming through the hatch. Also if Tintin were leaning out into space wouldn't we be able to see the side of the rocket?

As to why Tintin would jump to save Snowy if he wasn't really being thrown out into space - well, perhaps it was a really deep airlock. Whatever the reason, for me this is the only sensible explanation.
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#22 · Posted: 11 Apr 2005 17:21
...the rest of the sequence where Tintin does appear to leap out of the rocket and catch him

That doesn't seem right to me, either. I'll just go and get my copy of Hergé and Tintin: Reporters to check this ...

Chris seems to be right, to me! Tintin is reaching into the air-lock [I mean, there's not going to be an open-window, is there ? ;o)]
Also, if Tintin was actually reaching out into space, why are there no stars in the frame, as there are in the other frames (see below)?

The only answer, to my mind is that Tintin is reaching into a very deep air-lock.

The frame in question :

A comparison frame :
Richard
UK Correspondent
#23 · Posted: 11 Apr 2005 17:41
I think we've answered the question of why this section was removed ourselves - it's pretty vague as to what's supposed to be happening. There's no explanation of the airlock's size, or even where it's positioned on the rocket.

Perhaps, looking at the drawings of the rocket, there are two main access points - the doorway that the characters use when on the Moon, and the one that appears on the front cover of Destination Moon - it's a double-door hatchway.

Of course, we can't trust the cover to that book, what with the lack of steering equipment in the jeep...
yamilah
#24 · Posted: 13 Apr 2005 12:55
Thanks everybody for your interesting comments and for showing the facts.

I always thought the dark wall without visible stars was a shaded part of the rocket's outer plating, but I must admit the 'window' might just be a dark and deep airlock, still strangely lit up so that we can see Tintin & Snowy falling into it!

The above-mentioned book says this scene was removed because of its 'unrealism', but IMHO, the Thom(p)son's hair growth speed and colour changes are far more unreal...
jock123
#25 · Posted: 13 Apr 2005 15:22
yamilah
a dark and deep airlock, still strangely lit up so that we can see Tintin & Snowy falling into it!

It might not be dark - it might just be painted black inside, for some reason...
...and the light comes on when you open the door, just like a fridge...! ;-)
yamilah
#26 · Posted: 13 Apr 2005 17:26
jock123
like a fridge...!

Well I must admit I'm totally dazzled by this scientific enlightenment!
Harrock n roll
#27 · Posted: 13 Apr 2005 19:40
...and the light comes on when you open the door, just like a fridge...!

That Calculus was an absolute genius...;)

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!