Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

The Shooting Star: Appearance of the scientists

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

yamilah
#11 · Posted: 15 Jun 2005 18:55
Richard
he really does bear a striking resemblance !

Yes! But I'm afraid he might have nothing to see with the 'ligne claire' study, if he is not mentioned anywhere in the Tintinverse...
jock123
#12 · Posted: 15 Jun 2005 22:08
yamilah
Yes! But I'm afraid he might have nothing to see with the 'ligne claire' study, if he is not mentioned anywhere in the Tintinverse...

Are you saying that in order for the fictional prof to be based on the real one, the real one would have to be mentioned somewhere in the canon? I can't believe that that is the case - we know for certain that the original of Calculus was really Professor Auguste Piccard, but I don't think Piccard gets a mention.

At the risk of veering off topic, but given that we are talking about scientific eccentrics, here's a charming picture of Prof Piccard and his assistant Paul Kipfer; I thought they might be re-enacting the Inca execution scene from Prisoners, but in fact the story is even funnier - they were about to undertake one of his high altitude flights, when as an attempt to stop the voyage, German authorities insisted that they must wear helmets. Rather than stop them, it encouraged the professor's wife to make two "helmets" out of baskets and cushions, which fulfilled the requirements of the regulation!
There's also this one of the Prof and his brother Jean-Felix, apparently trying out for the parts of the Thom(p)sons...! ;-)
yamilah
#13 · Posted: 15 Jun 2005 22:52
jock123
Are you saying that in order for the fictional prof to be based on the real one, the real one would have to be mentioned somewhere in the canon?

Noways, actually any hero can perfectly mimick any real-life person's traits, and still be related to the 'clear line' writing and reading mechanisms via its meticulously chosen name, such as 'Tintin, Haddock & the others', to 'tell a story in the story' in a way mainly based on Prof. Paul Cantonneau's interests, i.e. both stars and Indians...
jock123
#14 · Posted: 16 Jun 2005 00:17
Sorry, yamilah, but I don’t understand what you mean; your new response appears to contradict the point you made before, viz:

he might have nothing to see with the 'ligne claire' study, if he is not mentioned anywhere in the Tintinverse

and

actually any hero can perfectly mimick any real-life person's traits

So which is it to be?
yamilah
#15 · Posted: 16 Jun 2005 13:49
jock123
if he is not mentioned anywhere in the Tintinverse

Thanks for this remark.
I mean 'if his real-life name is not mentioned in the Tintinverse'...

If we admit we are actually facing a rebus, the latter must have been based -as any rebus- one phonetics mainly...

Hence the drawings' style doesn't matter, provided it is clear...

Nor does it matter if the author or some readers pretend the heroes 'stand for' real-life Professor So & So, it will just make or keep the rebus unseen...
Harrock n roll
#16 · Posted: 16 Jun 2005 14:21
Professor Paul Cantonneau, University of Fribourg, Switzerland

I wasn't aware that Professor Cantonneau was from the University of Fribourg (in the French language Shooting Star I assume?) He's described as from the University of Paris in the English books. This makes more sense as the expedition team were supposed to be from Neutral and Axis countries. Not that it matters I suppose but an odd thing to change...
yamilah
#17 · Posted: 16 Jun 2005 14:38
Harrock n roll
Professor Cantonneau was from the University of Fribourg (in the French language Shooting Star I assume?)

Yes, in l'Etoile Mysterieuse, and personally I wasn't aware that Professor Cantonneau was from the University of Paris in the English books!
Thanks Harrock n roll for the info.
Mikael Uhlin
#18 · Posted: 17 Jun 2005 14:08
Is it possible that Erik Bjorgenskjold might be modeled after a real Norwegian physicist from the early 20th century named Kristian Birkeland? He was credited with discovering the reason behind the phenomenon known as the Aurora Borealis.

Around the turn of the last century there was also a Swedish polar scientist named Otto Nordenskjold.
labrador road 26
#19 · Posted: 13 Dec 2005 20:54
Around the turn of the last century there was also a Swedish polar scientist named Otto Nordenskjold

Unfortunately he doesn't at all resemble the Shooting star scientist.
http://www.christophereimer.co.uk/single/8057.html

http://www.capilladelsenor.net/modules/icontent/inPages/personajes/irizar/images/ottonordens01.jpg

But for us swedes he is at least the only identified swedish person to appear in Tintin. And that maybe because Hergé only used axis or neutral countries.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!