Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Official Tintin books /

Tintin in the Congo: Is the elephant male or female?

yamilah
#1 · Posted: 28 Jun 2005 11:28 · Edited by: Moderator
Does anyone know whether the elephant seen in Congo (p.38-42) is a male, or a female, or something else, according to the available data?
I've just realized all the 'data' might not be that easily available to everybody...

[Post edited by Moderator: removed links to pirate editions on external site.]

--
UPDATE: Posted: Jul 7, 2005 12:58:12 - edited by yamilah
Sorry, I thought these poor copies were ads for the original books... For a 'fair use for study', could possibly someone scan this elephant? Many thanks in advance

--
Moderator note:
Yamilah: The pages you linked to were obviously pirated editions of the books, and not even copied in a professional manner!
The fact that you located the site through links from a site belonging to another member, is not in itself a guarantee that such material is legitimate.
There is a difference between illustrating a point by linking to a single image, or even a couple of images, which would be covered by the concept for fair use for study, and finding a site which reproduces entire albums (albeit in B&W and in Chinese…!).
For the sake of legality, and to keep us squeaky clean, please do not make further links to the pirate site.
- The Happy Tintinologist Team
yamilah
#2 · Posted: 12 Jul 2005 23:38 · Edited by: yamilah
I finally managed to find out by myself the answer to the most complex question posed by this funny elephant... Here is a picture of an African elephant on the left, behind an Asian elephant on the right:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7a/Elephant.pair.750pix.jpg

When you'll read Tintin in the Congo, you'll notice Herge's elephant looks like African in the big frame (p.39), but is changed into an Indian in the small frames... As it owns tusks, the small frames' elephant can't be a female, as explained here

http://elephant.elehost.com/About_Elephants/Anatomy/Dentition/dentition.html

Still both Herge's elephants have Indian front feet (with five digits), as explained here

http://elephant.elehost.com/About_Elephants/Anatomy/The_Feet/the_feet.html

Thus this 'African' elephant is mostly and mainly Indian*, echoeing a spatio-temporal fault* in its way...
An unseen 'animal' transmission system* most likely related to stars* should thus be suspected in the Congo...

* please see related threads...

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!