Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Official Tintin books /

The Shooting Star: The truly ‘mysterious star’?

yamilah
#1 · Posted: 25 Jul 2005 15:19 · Edited by: yamilah
I've just re-read The Shooting Star and collected some odd data from that book. Here they are, for the convenience of the Tintinologists interested in Tintin's 'unique' (!) world...

'mysterious' stars indeed...

The 'shooting star' gets nearer to the Earth (p.4, B3), hits it, and provokes an earthquake (p.9, D2 & p.10, B1)...
Simultaneously though, it becomes smaller and darker while getting away from the Earth (p.5, B3), passes by it at a 45,000 km's distance (p.11, A1), thus doesn't hit it and implicitly has nothing to do with the earthquake (p.11, C3 + D2), according to Professor Phostle's (Calys) statements... No tsunami is reported...

This plural star* matches with the various duplications* and impossible speeds* found all over the corpus, namely the many built-in spatiotemporal faults* inherent in the Tintinverse...

This 'mysterious star' then becomes a temporary isle that soon sinks into the sea (p.60, D2)...
Such a disappearance matches with the (British) Isles'* invisibility on the globe by the end of Red Rackham Treasure* (p.61, A1), with the invisible ink* used on a (British) Isle (see The Black Island*, p.49, A1), as well as with the unseen 'Irish solar circle'* decoded by Tintin in The Blue Lotus* ('duplicated' message, original version, p.19), i.e. the very 'grianchrios', made of 'plural' stars as well...

a spider from a 'unique' world...

The spider 'magnified' in front of the star (p.4, B3) is so clearly delineated that the telescope doesn't abide by any known optic law, for the spider lies on the lens itself (as reported by Tintin, p.5), not on its optical focus...

This 'spider-&-double star' vision reminds of the huge 'bat-&-mysterious star' theater decor in The Seven Crystal Balls* (p.16)...
Both kind of insist on the stars' importance in the Tintinverse...
The spider might also hint at another corpus' unseen transmission system* that could coexist together with the ones 'signalled' by the bats*, namely:
- 'magic'* in The Seven Crystal Balls (p.16), following shows made by Indians*...
- an 'unknown language' such as Chinese (Blue Lotus, p.12, C3+C4), understood by a Tintin who comes from India*...
- an 'obscure passage' & an 'unknown rock writing' (Flight 714, p.39 + 41)...
- an 'unseen Sondonesian' (Flight 714, p.41), a tongue spoken by the local 'Indians'*...

What does the Tintinologist reckon?

Do the many and systematic Hergean 'bungled actions' & 'lapsus' anyone can find in Tintin just come from the author's unconscious at work, or could such a heavy artistic construction (which includes 'pass-word* titles') match with the cannon (Herge) utilized to kill a fly (as he asserts in the film 'Tintin et moi')?

Can Tintin's unique world merely tell about the madness that threatens any human being, pertain to a hazy Oedipus complex, as alleged by some scholars, or rather be a most sophisticated riddle, 'written' by a 20th century's Sphinx?

* please search for related threads...
ClaroQuerido
#2 · Posted: 30 Jul 2005 03:50 · Edited by: Moderator
Does anyone else here have any clue as to what this person is banging on about all the time??

I am completely dumbfounded with you, 'yamilah': I don't know if you are a genius or simply quite, quite mad. Can't you post something that makes sense?? Maybe its because we are too simple to understand such apperently complex concepts as you come out with. Couldn't you be a bit more lucid, for the sake of us relative knuchleheads? What on earth do you mean when you write a word in 'apostraphes'? And what's all this italics nonsense? What on earth do you mean by 'leften' hand? Why don't you say 'left hand' (from another post)?

I'm sorry if I'm offending you, but the way you write and the things you say are bound to attract questions. Every post I've read of yours is consistently written in this crazy style. Can you answer me normally?

Yours Baffled, J.R.deS.B.

Edit: I'm sorry for being rude just then, but what I said still goes. I might just have phrased it better.

----
[Combined two consecutive posts - Moderator]

Moderator note: while your frustration is evident, and you have apologized quickly for any offence given, it would be better in future to consider your response to the postings of other members; it does not help to fan flames, so let us keep things at an agreeable level, shall we?

Yamilah has a proposition, which he is entitled to air as long as no forum rules are broken; that this proposition appears as hard to understand as it is to communicate (he is after all trying to use words to express visual features, and is circumspect about actually expressing the content of the message(s) he percieves) does make things hard to follow at times.

There have been numerous attempts to understand Yamilah’s point of view, and numerous attempts by Yamilah to explain it; perhaps it is best to say that neither side has, as yet, reached a full rapprochement…

Perhaps if you pick out two or three of the points you have made for attention, Yamilah will offer some further enlightenment to you?

Play nicely, everybody!
- The Happy Tintinologist Team
yamilah
#3 · Posted: 2 Aug 2005 16:11
ClaroQuerido
What on earth do you mean when you write a word in 'apostraphes'? (...) What on earth do you mean by 'leften' hand? (...)

Er.. I suppose I wrote 'leften' for the very same reason you wrote 'apostraphes', isn't it?

Can't you post something that makes sense??

OK, then see please
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steganography

Please consider a Tintin family forum isn't the place for a lecture about unknown and unseen writings...

If by any chance you are interested in these, a good book to start with is The Code Book by Simon Singh, among many others...

And please don't forget the Happy Tintinologist Team's wise words: as long as no forum rules are broken, which means Tintin's obscure passage won't be disclosed here, even though its clear line is 'written' in an Indian language...

You've got the boat + the oars, now it's up to you... Do you like rowing? But I'm afraid this will just sound like more 'nonsense' to you...
ClaroQuerido
#4 · Posted: 3 Aug 2005 00:24
When I wrote this I had read your posts rather quickly. I understand a bit more what you are trying to say, and it makes more sense now. I apologise for my words. I do not necessarily agree with what you're saying, however.

To be honest, I think you are a very intelligent person, with an maybe an over-active imagination; and maybe your English is not your first language (I assume this from your profile which says you're from Switzerland)? Therefore it may be hard to express what you want to say, and may come across as seemingly strangely written.

I have always thought there was something 'odd' and intriguing about Tintin, one of the main reasons why I like him. I doubt it goes as deep as you think, but you are entitled to your proposal, and you obviously take it very seriously.

I would still like to know what you mean by the apostraphies (is that spelt right? lol) and italics because I am genuinely interested.
yamilah
#5 · Posted: 3 Aug 2005 12:23 · Edited by: yamilah
ClaroQuerido
(...) it may be hard to express what you want to say, and may come across as seemingly strangely written.

I'm afraid mainly Herge had difficulties in telling his 'well known secret'*, which was publicized in 2002 by B.Peeters in a new biography...

Such a secret is awkward mainly because it's told via children' literature, thus people (be they 'initiated' or not...) prefer being sceptical and keeping ignoring Herge's childish time-consuming testimony...

Some assert "there can't be any conscious message in the Tintinverse", some hint "Herge's intimacy must be respected", but imho all this is more of an insult at his memory than respect for his dreadful childhood and resiliency abilities...

I would still like to know what you mean by the apostraphies (is that spelt right? lol) and italics because I am genuinely interested.

If you're so much interested, here are -once again- the advices to start your own initiation into the unseen rebus, certainly preferable to the analysis of my posts' style, which emphasizes nothing else but the clear line's reading tools:

- don't forget Herge's words Tintin, Haddock & the others* are I...

- remember The famous hairstyle only appears when Tintin jumps into a car and races away. The sudden acceleration gives Tintin the distinctive quiff which he's synonymous*..., for the tilted M-shaped tuft should give you the two first syllables of the so-called clear line...

- remember Herge's Egyptian fresco*, in which 4 heroes' hieroglyphic names 'tell a story in a story'*, as their 9 syllables are separated from the others by cartouches. If these 9 syllables happen to match with the author's words Tintin, Haddock & the others are I, then the so-called clear line should have 9 syllables too...

- start studying the Indian languages*, for Indians* are so systematically linked to unseen or obscure passages* and to distortions of reality (unreal duplications* & speeds*) that the more you study the Tintinverse, the more it will become clear a real but distorted line has been written and/or drawn in such a language...

- find the Indian language which is the most insisted upon in the corpus...

- find the Indian message which sounds to match with Herge's words and childhood...

- then you'll need lots of reflection...

* please search for related threads...
snafu
#6 · Posted: 3 Aug 2005 14:06
Indeed, it looks like Herge had a perfect chance to accurately portray the effects of an asteroid impact on Earth; but the seal hunters reported nothing more but a streak of light (not even a tsunami, which would be expected for such a large rock!).

It also didn't occur to me that Tintin saw the spider in still; he found it walking along the lens. At any rate, nothing that small should be that gigantic on even the strongest telescopes. I might be wrong on this, though...
yamilah
#7 · Posted: 3 Aug 2005 21:46 · Edited by: yamilah
snafu
I might be wrong on this, though...

I don't think you are... Please see http://jim-on-the-web.bravepages.com/en/timeoff/comics/comic_errors_k.html
and scroll about halfway down. Thanks for your response!

Still another anomaly, that associates the star* (a shining sun) with an obscure passage* (a dark sky)... here http://www.thelooniverse.com/strips/kuifje/star.html

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!