Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Hergé and Studio Hergé /

[Closed] Was Hergé against fan art?

midnightblueowl
#1 · Posted: 15 Feb 2006 15:36
The answer to this is probably yes, but it got me thinking when I saw a photo of Hergé reading an unofficial book by Harry Edwards 'Le making du lagon', with another on his desk 'le projet o-light'. On the wall were posters of unofficial books, as well as the Lake of Sharks. Has anyone else seen this, and what do you think?
jock123
#2 · Posted: 15 Feb 2006 15:44
The photograph of Hergé reading the pirate volumes is a fake - they have replaced the books Hergé was originally pictured with using image-editing software.

The big clues should be that the pirates are a) not complete books even now, so there are no actual books to read, and they b) weren’t started until long after Hergé was dead…
Teak
#3 · Posted: 15 Feb 2006 15:54
My guess would be that he would certainly appreciate fan art (done by fans of Tintin as an expression of their love of the stories) more than he would appreciate some of the parodies which are of very questionable taste.

I liked the "making du lagon" photo-mock-up. It sort of shows that Herge's spirit lives on in the Tintin tribute stories.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 15 Feb 2006 16:09 · Edited by: jock123
Teak
I liked the "making du lagon" photo-mock-up. It sort of shows that Herge's spirit lives on in the Tintin tribute stories.

How do you reach that conclusion? If someone doctored a picture of you to show you holding one of the parodies which you yourself describe as “of very questionable taste”, would that mean that you approved of the parodies?

I think that, while the picture was obviously meant as a joke, and is technically well done, it can’t be used to interpret Hergé’s approval of the situation. As has been said elsewhere, Hergé didn’t let anyone draw Tintin for the books while he was alive, and certainly didn’t want Tintin drawn after he died.
Teak
#5 · Posted: 15 Feb 2006 16:13 · Edited by: Teak
I did not intend to imply that the photo showed how Herge would have felt about Lagoon, nor that he would have approved of it. But to me - my personal interpretation - the picture shows how the fans feel about the tribute stories. That they are honoring his memory and that, perhaps, he would be touched by their feelings.
midnightblueowl
#6 · Posted: 3 Mar 2006 22:30
Herge did let other people draw other parts of the work. Bob de Moor drew some backgrounds and Gef did some storylines, even if he didn't continue with them. Therefore, if people, like Harry Edwards, use Herge's pictures of the characters, even if they are differant backgrounds and stories, wouldn't Herge have allowed it. Probably not, but anyway, I'm just putting forward some evidence.
marsbar
#7 · Posted: 4 Mar 2006 09:22 · Edited by: marsbar
midnightblueowl: Herge did let other people draw other parts of the work.

Yes, Herge did have hired help. Tintin fan artists are not hired helpers of the Studio Herge, and the work they produce are generally credited to themselves, not Herge.

This topic is closed.