Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Hergé and Studio Hergé /

New Book by Benoît Peeters about Hergé & His Studios

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Danagasta
#11 · Posted: 29 Mar 2006 12:07 · Edited by: Danagasta
I don't agree with this. Does this mean the string quartet on The Beatles ‘Yesterday’ should take an equal part of the credit for the song? You could say that Hergé's assistants were like session musicians with Hergé writing the songs and the other artists backing him up

They do. In any CD, you'll find the names of the musicians listed with the track. Herge didn't even do that. That was actually more of what I meant, but that's what I get for typing after being up since 3 am for the new job :)
SingingGandalf
#12 · Posted: 29 Mar 2006 15:01
I agree with Danagasta, the entire studio Herge should get credit. I think that the post war ones should all say 'Studio Herge' instead of 'Herge'. And anyone who says that it is Herge's creation, he should get the most credit, look at the name, 'Studio Herge'
Harrock n roll
#13 · Posted: 29 Mar 2006 15:38
They do. In any CD, you'll find the names of the musicians listed with the track. Herge didn't even do that.

Sorry Danagasta, but in the example I gave (The Beatles ‘Yesterday’) the musicians are not credited. However, I do get your point although I'm not sure whether it was Hergé or the publishers decision not to credit the colourists, inkers, letterers, etc.

For that matter, should Lennon even receive a credit, and should his estate receive royalties?

Good point Ed. McCartney himself thinks not! (see here)
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#14 · Posted: 29 Mar 2006 17:33
When you assign people to help you, they take an equal part of the responsibility and the credit.

In any CD, you'll find the names of the musicians listed with the track. Herge didn't even do that.

I think there's a difference: the first scenario implies that each contributor gains a stake in the intellectual property of the work, i.e., they effectively become a copyright holder. This was the kind of thing EPJ was driving at when he requested that the stories be credited to Hergé/Jacobs.

The second case, which has become more common with recent music releases, gives a credit acknowledging work on a production, with no legal standing and no obligation to do so. So the contributors don't receive "equal credit", just a mention of their work.

So to clarify: do you propose that Hergé should have included in each story a list of credits based upon who did what?

If you don't mind indulging me on this little tangent, if everyone who worked on writing, arranging and recording "Yesterday" received equal acknowledgement, the credit would read something like: Lennon/McCartney/Martin/Gilbert/Sax/Gabarro/Essex - imagine the arguments over which order they went in!

Ed
SingingGandalf
#15 · Posted: 29 Mar 2006 17:57
If you don't mind indulging me on this little tangent, if everyone who worked on writing, arranging and recording "Yesterday" received equal acknowledgement, the credit would read something like: Lennon/McCartney/Martin/Gilbert/Sax/Gabarro/Essex

Putting this into 'Tintin' context, couldn't they just put 'studio Herge', referring to everyone, including the main person, Herge.
Danagasta
#16 · Posted: 29 Mar 2006 22:28
So to clarify: do you propose that Hergé should have included in each story a list of credits based upon who did what?

Exactly!!! To me, it's just good ethics and honesty.
yamilah
#17 · Posted: 5 Apr 2006 16:06
Danagasta
To me, it's just good ethics and honesty.

I love the word ethics*, specially when it comes to Tintin or Herge!

Maybe the Studios' main ethical rule was not to interfere with kind of a very special 'game' played by characters such as 'Tintin, Haddock, &c' and the boss, a former boy-scout?

* please search for related threads.
jmsairforce
#18 · Posted: 10 Mar 2011 10:31
This book has been translated into English by Johns Hopkins University Press and will be released in late 2011.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!