Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Hergé and Studio Hergé /

“The Adventures of Hergé”: Cartoon biography by Bocquet, Fromental & Stanislas

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

george
#11 · Posted: 9 Apr 2011 00:20 · Edited by: george
It has been years since I read it, but I recall it being pretty good. It is nice that it is getting a 'proper' publication though.

Jock123 gives a better summary then I could ever manage.

George
number1fan
#12 · Posted: 9 Apr 2011 08:03 · Edited by: Moderator
Is this not fan art?
jock123
#13 · Posted: 9 Apr 2011 09:37 · Edited by: jock123
number1fan:
Is this not fan art?

No, there's a difference between "fan art" and "art by a fan"…

Fan art is something made by someone using the intellectual property (in the case of comics that could include characters, drawing style, story content, what-have-you) of someone else; this is a biography of the life of Hergé done as a comic-strip, without use of his style, characters or re-telling the stories of the Tintin albums.

This is an original book, written and drawn in a manner unlike Hergé's style. It isn't fan-art any more than any other biography could be classed that, really - it's just done in pictures this time (and rather beautifully, in my opinion).
Balthazar
#14 · Posted: 9 Apr 2011 11:36 · Edited by: Balthazar
Having read it in Drawn and Quarterly, I agree with others (in this thread and in those linked threads) that this is a great piece of work. I agree with Jock that it's beautifully drawn in its own non-Hergé, non-clear-line style.

(Though, regarding your points above, Jock, I don't think it would be infringing any copyright even if it had been drawn in Hergé's style. I don't think you can copyright a whole drawing style.)

The writer-artists use the comic-strip form brilliantly. Although, as far as I know, it's basically a factually correct biography, they play with the boundaries between Hergé's life and his work by making frequent visual and narrative references to the Tintin books (and in one case to a scene in E.P.Jacobs' The Yellow M).

In the Drawn and Quarterly version, the biography leaps forward in time between scenes, so that it's a series of episodes from key moments of Hergé's life, rather than a continuous full biography. That works fine, and I've no reason to think that this forthcoming book version isn't the same as the Drawn and Quarterly version. But I wouldn't complain if it turns out the creators have taken the opportunity to expand the work for this book and have written and drawn extra scenes from other parts of his life, just because their work's so good I'd like to have more of it! That's purely wishful speculation on my part though!
jock123
#15 · Posted: 11 Apr 2011 10:28
Balthazar:
I don't think you can copyright a whole drawing style.

Oh yes, point taken; I was generalizing, and had more in mind the idea of “passing off” – suggesting by implication that the art was that of another artist, or that in using the style that it was in some direct way approved by them.
Balthazar
#16 · Posted: 11 Apr 2011 18:35
Thanks for the "passing off" clarification, Jock. I see what you mean.

To get back on topic, since posting my last post, I've clicked on that link you provided, mct16, and have had a look at those preview pages. The pages shown (a scene from 1928) don't actually feature in the version published in Drawn and Quarterly, so it looks like my wishful musings about this book being an expanded version may actually prove to be the case, which makes me look forward to its publication all the more!

I notice these two sample pages are in black and white, though, unlike the pages we've seen in Drawn and Quarterly which are all in colour. I wonder whether these sample pages are yet to be coloured, or if they're using b/w for some of these new pages, or if the whole book version is to be in black and white.
mct16
#17 · Posted: 11 Apr 2011 19:01
I seem to recall finding this book in Paris a few years ago and glancing through it. I believe that was in black-and-white back then.

Could be that Drawn and Quarterly asked for a colourised version because they thought that it would be more appealing.

Balthazar
Does you version dwell much on his relationship with Abbot Wallez who, on the second page of the preview, is examining Herge's early drawings of Tintin and Snowy? He was such a controversial figure that I would not be surprised if some editors felt it best to keep his role to a minimum.
george
#18 · Posted: 11 Apr 2011 23:13
Balthazar:
I notice these two sample pages are in black and white, though, unlike the pages we've seen in Drawn and Quarterly which are all in colour. I wonder whether these sample pages are yet to be coloured, or if they're using b/w for some of these new pages, or if the whole book version is to be in black and white.

Well, moving away from FNAC to Bedetheque it appears that the 'original' was in colour, and there was then a B&W edition a few years later.

Going by the cover it looks like Drawn & Quarterly are going with the newest, full colour, and perhaps expanded (64pg vs 56pgs) this time around. Given their 'Art Comics' reputation, I'd be surprised if they requested a colourised version.

George
Tintinrulz
#19 · Posted: 3 Nov 2011 01:52
Has anyone bought a copy of the book? It looks good, I might have to order a copy.
george
#20 · Posted: 13 Nov 2011 12:12 · Edited by: george
Yep, just whizzed through the volume this weekend. It's a nice little book although at just 64 pages it is never going to be more than a highlights package of Herge's life. So you get all the key points that we know so well from books and from this forum but not a huge amount of analysis. I suppose it reads more like the graphic equivalent of a Sunday-supplement magazine profile.

Worth getting but don't expect to learn anything new.

George

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!