Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

Has "Yoko Tsuno" ever made it into English?

jock123
#1 · Posted: 28 Jun 2004 17:24
Roger Leloup is still actively producing albums, and I would really like to know if the technical genius behind so much of the hard-ware in the Tintin books has ever had his own work out in English?
george
#2 · Posted: 28 Jun 2004 17:47
Yep, at least one book's been translated. I've got Vulcan's Forge published by Comcat in 1989. It's published as part of The Adventures of Yoko, Vic & Paul, though I'm not sure if there were others in the series. The back cover tells us to look out for the "next titles in this exciting series", 'though I never trust the back of books to be anything other than optimistic. I'm still waiting for the next two volumes of Corto Maltese promised by Harvill!

Compared to the other European greats, Herge did quite well for English translations.

George
Harrock n roll
#3 · Posted: 28 Jun 2004 17:50
I have 2 English language Yoko Tsuno books - Vulcan's Forge and The Three Suns of Vina published by Comcat Comics/Catalan Communications in 1989 (who also did English versions of a couple of Blake and Mortimer adventures).

They are known as The Adventures of Yoko, Vic & Paul (what, no Ringo, John or George?) and numbered 1 and 2 in the series. I'm not certain that they did anymore after that although on the back it does list the forthcoming adventures The Titans, The Light From IXO, and The Archangels of Vina.

If you're searching on ebay (etc) I found it best to use "Yoko Vic Paul" as the search phrase. Strange title for the series tho' as Vic and Paul are very peripheral (and weak!) characters.
thundercars
#4 · Posted: 27 Aug 2005 07:21
It is certainly odd that The Vulcan's forge and The three suns of Vinea are numbered as 1 and 2, for they are really numbers 3 and 6 in the original order.
The other titles you mention are The titans (8), The light from Ixo (10) and the archangels of Vinea (13).
I have all the (Dutch first) editions and all the weeklies (Robbedoes) in which the stories first appeared.
How do they explain in The Vulcan's forge how the three meet up?
In the first couple of albums (Number 4 was made up of several short stories which were actually published in Robbedoes BEFORE the first album: Trio in the unknown and called Adventures in electronics) the boys were still an integer part of the stories.
But you're right that they were gradually fased out in the later albums.
george
#5 · Posted: 3 Jul 2007 11:06
Just to quickly revive this thread, the excellent Cinenbook are about to release a volume in the series. They have other interesting looking series coming as well.

George
jock123
#6 · Posted: 3 Jul 2007 22:43
Thanks for the heads-up, George!
2Orangy4Crows
#7 · Posted: 23 Jul 2007 20:02
Just to say I got the English version of "On The Edge of Life" today. Although I've heard of Yoko Tsuno, it's the first time I've read one of the books. Very enjoyable. According to the back of the book, "The Time Spiral" is scheduled for release in January 2008. Looking forward to it.
John Sewell
#8 · Posted: 26 Feb 2008 19:13
I've bought both of the Cinebook editions so far, and as a total newcomer to Yoko, have thoroughly enjoyed them. The clarity and detail in Leloup's artwork is astounding, especially the masterful depiction of Rothenburg in On The Edge Of Life. he obviously loves his hardware and vehicles too, hardly surprising from the genius who designed the Carreidas 160 with such style and precision that I actually thought it was a real aircraft well into my 20s! All of the scientific stuff really looks as though it could work just as much as any of the "real" cars, trucks and helicopters which appear.

I'm hoping Cinebook will get round to some of the outer space Vinean adventures, as from the little bits and pieces I've seen, they look completely mad, in the best possible way, and I can't wait to see how they contrast with the Earth-based stories.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!