Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Hergé and Studio Hergé /

Book on Hergé's art

Richard
UK Correspondent
#1 · Posted: 21 Dec 2006 00:47
Can anyone recommend a book that deals exclusively with the artwork in the Tintin series; I'm currently reading Pierre Fresnault-Deruelle's Hergé ou le secret de l'image and wondered if there's any books out there that analyse Hergé's art in terms of composition, layout, structuring etc. and explore why it's successful. Any suggestions gratefully received!
yamilah
#2 · Posted: 22 Dec 2006 19:09
About Herge's artwork seen as a media and its connections with the audio-visual, you could read Tintin et les Medias, by a close friend of Herge, Pierre Sterckx, Ed. Le Hetre Pourpre, 1997.
see http://www.monediteur.com/fr/public/boutique.php?query=DETAIL&refObjet =122&refCategorie=46

About the possible presence of constraints* in Herge's art and more specially in The Calculus Affair, see the most recent article by Jan Baetens, mentioned on http://muse.jhu.edu/cgi-bin/access.cgi?uri=/journals/french_forum/v031 /31.1baetens.html

An excerpt connected with Tintin's success: "Le regne sans partage de la Ligne Claire (...), l'exemple d'Herge montre aussi qu'on ne prête qu'aux riches" ('People lend only to the rich').
Richard
UK Correspondent
#3 · Posted: 23 Dec 2006 00:05
Thanks for those, yamilah, I'll try to find a copy of Tintin et les Medias. Fresnault-Deruelle's book seems quite good, especially so far as recycled images are concerned - and it even mentions a spatio-temporal hiatus at one point! There's also in article in the Figaro special edition from a couple of years back on art featured in the adventures.

I'm really quite surprised there's no book that analyses the artwork album-by-album, though. There's volumes available on the animals in the books, Calculus' inventions, la Castafiore - but no book solely dedicated to studying the art?
yamilah
#4 · Posted: 23 Dec 2006 11:39 · Edited by: yamilah
Richard
Fresnault-Deruelle's book (...) even mentions a spatio-temporal hiatus at one point!

Could you give us a more precise quote?
Thanks in advance.

I'm really quite surprised there's no book that analyses the artwork album-by-album, though. (...) no book solely dedicated to studying the art?

I'm afraid a single 'ST hiatus' won't help the reader to notice there's something very special and amplified* in Tintin!
Maybe the problem is such a funny constraint* can't be admitted as 'art' -hence can't be studied- by the human sciences?
yamilah
#5 · Posted: 6 Jan 2007 18:33
Here's an article about Les Bijoux Ravis*, but the author's allusion to Raymond Roussel -a pre-Oulipian that used writing constraints- is not quoted, nor the fact that B.P. invites to do one's own reading of the puns found in Tintin!!
see http://madinkbeard.com/blog/archives/les-bijoux-ravis

About visible constraints in comics, please see
http://madinkbeard.com/blog/archives/oubapo-exhibit-at-the-cnbdi
To learn more about writing constraints, just browse this site.
veronbeezus
#6 · Posted: 15 Jan 2007 20:50
I just receive a copy of `Hergé by Hergé` for my birthday, and there seems to be lots of great comment on his drawing in there!

Unfortunately I do not understand most of them because they were in French. Nevertheless, it is certainly a very useful book if you do understand the language.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#7 · Posted: 15 Jan 2007 23:57
veronbeezus
I just receive a copy of `Hergé by Hergé` for my birthday, and there seems to be lots of great comment on his drawing in there!

Is that the one published to coincide with the Pompidou exhibition, six inch square and about half as thick? If so I picked up one in Paris, it's a fantastic book and highly recommended for anyone interested in the artwork.
yamilah
#8 · Posted: 16 Jan 2007 10:51 · Edited by: yamilah
Richard
Is that the one published to coincide with the Pompidou exhibition
I think it is!

About PFD's 'hiatus spatio-temporels' mentioned above by Richard, see page 36 in Le Secret de l'Image, his book published in 1999.

Those spatiotemporal* hiatus are actually narrowly connected with 'inter-images monochromes' (i.e. the white spaces that separate the panels) and seem to match perfectly what Scott McCloud described -six years earlier- as the 'Gutter' in his Understanding Comics - the Invisible Art.

Do you think those rather patent notions can be applied to Herge's art made -partly- of rather different ST faults*?
veronbeezus
#9 · Posted: 16 Jan 2007 10:54
It is! My cousin got it for me from Paris! I just went down to the book store to get a French-English dictionary this afternoon, so I can appreciate this book better. It is so fortunate for you guys to be in Europe, where exhibitions and choice of books are ample.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!