Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Hergé and Studio Hergé /

Hergé biography in English: recommendations?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

GurraJG
#1 · Posted: 14 Jul 2004 12:31
Hello,

I'm looking for a Hergé biography in English, but I can't really find any, and the ones I do, I don't know if they are any good. So, any suggestions would be deeply appreciated. Thanks.

-Gustav
jock123
#2 · Posted: 14 Jul 2004 13:18
Which ones have you found? I only really know of two biographies of Hergé, and both are good. Perhaps if you listed some names, somebody might have read them and be able to comment.

There is one by Harry Thompson, which is probably the most comprehensive in English, and I haven’t heard any bad reviews to suggest that it is inaccurate or poorly researched. The draw-back is that it is now out of print, and very hard to find second-hand.

The other is “Les Aventures d’Hergé” (see thread). In cartoon form, it is very entertaining, and there is information in the thread about how to get it in English.
GurraJG
#3 · Posted: 14 Jul 2004 13:23
The Harry Thompson one was basically the only one I found, and it seems good, so I think I'll go with that, if I find it. Also, was the Numa Sadoul interview published in book form?

-Gustav
Harrock n roll
#4 · Posted: 14 Jul 2004 16:02
GurraJG asked was the Numa Sadoul interview published in book form

Yes, as Tintin et Moi: Entretiens Avec Hergé. It's available in French.
GurraJG
#5 · Posted: 14 Jul 2004 17:55
Only in French?

-Gustav
jock123
#6 · Posted: 14 Jul 2004 23:27
It certainly hasn’t made it into English - there may be other language editions, though I don’t know what they are, if any.

The documentary “Tintin et Moi” is based on the tapes, so you would have some idea of the sort of thing that they contain from that, albeit only a tiny portion of what was an exceedingly long interview…
GurraJG
#7 · Posted: 15 Jul 2004 11:25
Concerning "Tintin et moi": My friend had taped the show when it was shown on Swedish television, but he has just agreed to let me borrow it. However, I'm still kinda confused over it, so let me see if this is right:

Originally, the documentary was made by some Danish person. It was in Danish, except for the interview parts, which were in French. It is also available in English and French. Am I correct?

-Gustav
Harrock n roll
#8 · Posted: 15 Jul 2004 11:59
Hi Gustav, I also have the film taped from Swedish TV.

It was made by Dane, Anders Østergaard and premiered in Copenhagen just before Christmas. (I happened to be there at the time but I had to leave and get the train back to Svendborg, a frustrating experience).

It's mainly in French, but Michael Farr and Harry Thompson speak in English and there is a tiny bit of Danish. You'll be pleased to know it has Swedish subtitles throughout.

It has been released on DVD, although it's only currently available as a bonus limited edition disc with the DVD box set of the cartoons. The DVD has subtitles in English (not sure about other languages).

Hope that helps.

Chris
GurraJG
#9 · Posted: 15 Jul 2004 12:26
Yes, that did help. Now I only have to help me friend find the tape, which he misplaced. Great, eh?

Thanks,

Gustav
massive
#10 · Posted: 15 Jul 2004 17:00
the only sort of biography I have is a small intro in Benoit Peeters book "Tintin and the world of Herge"

I am looking at the companion by Michiel Farr but am worried that would just get the same sort of book as the one I have already. Can anyone tell me if they differ?, and if I should pick Farr's book?

christopher R:

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!