Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Hergé and Studio Hergé /

Germaine Kieckens: Any biographical information?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

SakuraT5
#1 · Posted: 1 Sep 2007 05:35
I've read from an intenet article about Herge's first wife, Germaine Kieckens. But that paricular article did not mention much about her. But I wanna know more. Could anyone give me some more info on her?
Mikael Uhlin
#2 · Posted: 1 Sep 2007 10:53 · Edited by: Mikael Uhlin
She was born in 1906 and worked as secretary of abbé Norbert Wallez, the editor of the XXe Century, when she met and married Hergé. They were married by Wallez himself on July 21, 1932. Germaine is described as red-haired, energetic and determined. The couple, who never got any children, lived seemingly happy until the beginning of the fifties. During the various crisis Hergé experienced at the time, a split set in and in 1956, Hergé began a affair with the young Fanny Vlamynck (born in 1934) who worked at his studio. It took him four years to leave Germaine and seventeen years to actually divorce her. As long as they lived, Georges and Germaine (=Hergé and Hergée) continued to share their villa in Céroux-Mousty, staying there one week at a time.

(from http://archives.arte.tv/art/tintin/ftext/herge/2_1/2_1_3/index_txt_f.h tml )
Jeeves
#3 · Posted: 25 May 2008 06:18
Ok this may sound ridiculus but here goes, The only photo I have seen of her is one taken in the 30's with Herge and Chang in that her mouth is open and she seems to be laughing, in that moment I thought she looked very similar to Peggy Alcazar in frame 3 pg 41 of Picaros if you imagine Germaine somewhat heavier with glasses and curlers. Am I seeing things or what? (feel free to tell me I'm nuts)
mondrian
#4 · Posted: 4 Jun 2008 11:26
Can't really see the similarity myself, Jeeves. Not nuts, but not very fair to Germaine either.

Think Peggy was drawn after some Ku Klux Klan member whom Hergé had seen on tv.
Jeeves
#5 · Posted: 5 Jun 2008 06:50
mondrian wrote:
Think Peggy was drawn after some Ku Klux Klan member whom Hergé had seen on tv.

well if Herge had drawn Peggy to look like Germaine he couldn't very well say that
Little Mijarka
#6 · Posted: 10 Jun 2008 05:03 · Edited by: Little Mijarka
I don't know if this will help, but if anyone wants to see how Herge drew Germaine, I suggest taking a look at King Ottokar's Sceptre. On pg. 59, in the frame with Tintin approaching the throne, you will see a blonde woman on the right-hand side, wearing a pink ballgown. That is Germaine and the gentleman behind her is Herge.

It is small but one can clearly see the difference between Peggy and she.

However, that was written when they were married so Jeeves you may be on to something.
Jeeves
#7 · Posted: 11 Jun 2008 03:55
Yes and Picaros was published the year before their divorce was finalized. My theory would also explain why Herge talks about Peggy with so much animosity, he is much nicer when he describes his villans!
Little Mijarka
#8 · Posted: 11 Jun 2008 05:38 · Edited by: Little Mijarka
None of his other "villains" had such a lurid, startling past. For someone who does not appear in many albums, in fact only one, he provided her with a very detailed biography. At least in all the sources I've read.
jock123
#9 · Posted: 11 Jun 2008 07:30 · Edited by: jock123
Jeeves wrote:
My theory would also explain why Herge talks about Peggy with so much animosity

Does he? I don’t think he’s any harder on Peggy than any other of his gallery of grotesque characters.
Also, bear in mind that Hergé’s divorce doesn’t appear to have been acrimonious, nor does he ever seem to have been more than regretful that he didn’t get the marriage to work.

He saw Germaine until he died, spending regular days together, usually weekly, so their relationship doesn’t have to be seen as anything like Peggy and Alcazar.

I can’t say I see any likeness between them, facially or in any other characteristic, so I wouldn’t say you were nuts exactly, but I think it is a stretch too far…
Jeeves
#10 · Posted: 12 Jun 2008 01:08
I'm just saying that he seems to really hate her for a character who is really just comedic relief, I really don't think that she counts as a villan.

Also apparently one of the reasons that the marriage didn't work out was that Hergé thought Germaine was a bit of a nag. His divorce stirred up a lot of bad feeling within his family and Fanny's so its possible he was trying to make a case for himself the Germaine was annoying. He made fun of her in Tintin before why not again?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!