Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Hergé and Studio Hergé /

Hergé and Catholicism

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

snafu
#11 · Posted: 3 Mar 2005 04:27
Krollspell, the ex-concentration camp doctor ends up siding with Tintin and co. in an attempt to get off the island.

That was not a question about right or wrong. That's more about survival. Had Krospell sacrificed his life the way Wolff did in "Explorers on the Moon" so that Tintin and Co. could survive, then there could have been a moral dimension on Krospell!
Karaboudjan
#12 · Posted: 6 Mar 2005 18:27
Agreed. Seeing as Rastapopoulos was going to have him liquidated, what choice did he have?
Danagasta
#13 · Posted: 5 Jul 2005 18:47
Being raised Baptist, I was oblivious to some of the Catholic undertones in the book until I read the posts on here. The two are like night and day, unrelated belief systems that stem from the same basic religion. Also, in the area where I grew up, Catholics are a rare lot if not nonexistent. Some people also didn't see them as true Christians,but that I don't really understand.

The religious undertones I understood were only present in The Shooting Star. As for Wolff's note, that was awesome. But that's also everyday speech where I'm from, so I guess I didn't look at that either.
In the end, however, only the character's creator could have a faith unless he or she wrote the character's faith into a storyline and mentioned it. I say they don't have a religion, but just use cultural conventions from a Catholic country.
Courtney
jock123
#14 · Posted: 6 Jul 2005 08:47
Danagasta
Being raised Baptist, I was oblivious to some of the Catholic undertones in the book until I read the posts on here.
I don’t think you have to think that there is some sort of “DaVinci Code” style Catholic coding embedded in the books (Yamilah may disagree on that point ;-)), which you aren’t undertsanding: I think you can’t avoid the fact that Hergé was Catholic, working for Catholic publications, in a largely Catholic country, but I think the books would be much the same if he had been brought up in Presbyterian Scotland or Lutheran Germany.

They are informed as much, if not more by Hergé’s life-long dedication to the Scouting movement (which, although often run in conjunction with Church groups, and with some emphasis on religious observance, is not in itself a religious organization) - that a person should be upstanding, honest, resourceful, self-reliant etc.

The argument over the death of Wolff is one instance which could be construed as being a question of Catholic belief, but suicide is (or was) a crime in America, and the same question might have come up for a US children’s publisher.

The two are like night and day, unrelated belief systems that stem from the same basic religion.
Surely “unrelated” is a bit strong? They are both Christian religions. Our local Baptist and Catholic churches quite happily run a joint out-reach scheme for the destitute, for example - there’s nothing to suggest that they approach that from anything other than very common ground.
Danagasta
#15 · Posted: 6 Jul 2005 16:09
Surely “unrelated” is a bit strong? They are both Christian religions.
Not as much where I'm from as maybe where you are. I personally don't see too many differences, but where I come from, people see it that way. Sorry for the confusion ^_^ I wasn't exactly at 100 percent when I typed it, what with the new job and all.

Courtney
sliat_1981
#16 · Posted: 9 Jan 2006 09:08
It should be noted that all christian religions dennounce suicide, not just Cathloicisim. Herge would have got the same response if he's worked for a protestant paper.
Tintinrulz
#17 · Posted: 10 Jan 2006 00:33
But it wasn't suicide. He did it so the others on the rocket would live - that is self-sacrifice. And there's nothing wrong with that!
sliat_1981
#18 · Posted: 10 Jan 2006 07:10
Exactly.
Jeeves
#19 · Posted: 11 Apr 2008 02:16
As a former Catholic school student I can see several traces of religion (in French additions "mon dieu",Ramon and Alfonso being dragged to hell, etc..) but it never fells like a "code" or someone trying to imprint that veiw on others. I also agree with the concept that the marginalization of the womens role in the proceedings and lack of sexuality in any form is definately preasent

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!