Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Hergé and Studio Hergé /

Looking for Influences Upon Hergé for Architecture

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

christi
#11 · Posted: 15 Apr 2009 16:03
Balthazar:
The prime example of this category would be his creation of the entirely fictional city of Schôd in The Calculus Affair, where every building (or car) seem to have design features that refer to the country's dictator's huge Stalin-like moustache. (It's quite similar to the portrayal of Hitler's Germany in Disney's 1940s Donald Duck cartoon, Der Fuhrer's Face, where every road and window frame is swastika -shaped.)

Very interesting!!I wasn't aware of that!
quiestce
#12 · Posted: 19 Apr 2009 15:01 · Edited by: Admin
First of all, this is my first topic on this forum, so hello everyone ! I'm french-native and Hergé-fan. I also make some subtitles for documentaries about Hergé.

Hi christi ! I'm quiestce88, hope you remember me ;-) We've discussed a bit about your project through YouTube. Well, first I thought it may be useful to the others who are interested that I paste the message I wrote you a few days ago (on YouTube) :
Concerning the designing principles of Hergé, there may a documentary film which could help you: "La Ligne Claire" ("The clear line"): [URLs removed] It explains an artistic and comics-related movement. You can get some details about here on Wikipedia :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligne_claire (English article)
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligne_claire#Le_dessin_selon_Herg.C3.A9 (French article, "Hergé" section, much more detailed.)
As it is written in the French article, it's mostly at the end of his life that Hergé put in place this famous "Ligne claire". [URL removed]

Still concerning the designing principles, you have to keep in mind that Hergé was always looking for "purity" for his albums, if not perfection... It led to quite difficult moments in his life, in the 1960s (it was the time when he started to do elaborate his "clear line"). [URL removed]
I hope I'm not too far from your first question.

Concerning his inspirations, well he had many, many documents (20.000 of them are still at the "Hergé Foundation", in the building where he worked at the end, in Brussels [URL removed]. On this subject, the book "Tintin - The Complete Companion" by Michael Farr is a great one to see the differences between the inspirations of Hergé and what he drew afterwards. It is this same Michael Farr who tells about these resemblances in the [documentary film] "Tintin et moi" [URL removed] that's very interesting, I think.

So Hergé gathered a lot of documentation. For "The Red Sea Sharks", he spent some days in a boat to make sketches and to feel to rolling the same way as his characters ! He frequently asked to some friends who traveled to take some photos or to grab some postcards for his documentation.

Well, I've thought a bit about your subject. It's clear, I think, to note on your report that Hergé's inspiration were often indirect ones. That's true, there are some buildings he made sketches of, directly, like the house of Professor Tarragon in "The Seven Crystal Balls", like someone said here. But when you think about the Soviets, the Congo, Chicago and a lot of others, he was inspired by photos. An interesting example of country is, I think, Syldavia. This fictionnal country has got a Balkan culture : look at these buildings for instance, see : Tintin in Sydavia image

It may be nice to speak about all Hergé's collaborators in your report : from the 1960s, his collaborators were often drawing the decors, some schemes for cars or planes, and of course the buildings (I'm speaking here about Bob de Moor, Jacques Martin and Roger Leloup, mainly).

I don't know if you intend to speak about the boats, it may be kind of interesting just to mention the works Hergé did to make them realistic.

Good luck for your work.

--
Note from Admin: Hello quiestce - welcome to Tintinologist.org. Thanks for your first and very interesting post here; regrettably, however, I have had to edit it as per the Forums' Terms of Membership/Rules and Policies.

As far as I know, the majority of the films and the books mentioned in your post is in print; for example: "The Secret of the Clear Line"/"Le secret de la ligne Claire" is included as a special feature on the "Tintin and I" DVD, with English-subtitles, released by Madman (Australia) in 2007.

In future, please refrain from posting links to unauthorized distribution of copyrighted material which should be paid for. That we are not perceived as condoning copyright infringements is critical to the survival of this site--we got burnt once (at the turn of the century) and that was enough!
Your cooperation and understanding will be greatly appreciated.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!