Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Hergé and Studio Hergé /

For the last time: Tintin and Hergé were not Nazis!

number1fan
#1 · Posted: 4 Mar 2010 19:30 · Edited by: Moderator
I just came across a video that I wont link it. Basically it was short video claiming Herge was a Nazi.Clearly the people who make these accusations clearly no nothing of the subject as Tintin is all ways good over evil.Belgium became occupied by the Nazi's and people claim that he dropped all the Anti Fascist material like that was in King Ottokar's Sceptre so how does this make him a Nazi.
I imagine he was told if he carried this on him and all the people he knew and hes family would of been destroyed by the SS so realistically what are you going to do?.Exactly you are going to cooperate as it wouldn't be just your life it would be others
The Story's he did in the war were great if anything it would be refreshing for readers for some escapism such as treasure hunt as the war must of been in the papers in the early to mid 1940's.
And Herge is such a Nazi that a person of Jewish faith is directing the new Film.
Its easy for people to make these accusations but do they have any real evidence?.
george
#2 · Posted: 5 Mar 2010 10:15
You're likely preaching to the converted on this forum, but I posted a short rebuff to such similar lazy churnalism here:

http://blog.newsarama.com/2010/02/15/tintins-list/

Oh, and it really should be "were not Nazis"; you can move the possessive apostrophe to "Ottokar's" :-)

George
number1fan
#3 · Posted: 7 Mar 2010 21:52
I fill there's a bit of a band wagon like must things one person says Herge is a Nazi and others follow till they dont even know what they are talking about.The critics will be so quick to pan Herge he wasn't he only person to work under Nazi rule.
doubleT
#4 · Posted: 26 Mar 2010 02:46 · Edited by: Moderator
Edited by Moderator

No way Hergé and Tintin were Nazis.
During the occupation, Hergé and many others were just trying to keep jobs; guys have put bread on the table.

Yes I know that their were people who refused to work under the Nazis, and it's perfectly understandable, but that my be a little self righteous since they kind of said that anyone who does otherwise if with the Axis.

But not everyone can be a hero (suddenly I'm thinking of the saying "billy, don't be a hero").

That's why Hergé created Tintin, so that he could be a hero were it counts (in your heart) while not actually doing the dangerous things that heroes do himself

Moderator Warning: Let's just avoid swearing in any form, thank you - it isn't acceptable under the forum posting rules. Typing it in edited form ("bleeped out") really isn't any better than typing the whole thing, as it is perfectly clear what you are putting.
Also please do not post using only upper-case letters.
Your post has been edited accordingly.

The Tintinologist Team
mct16
#5 · Posted: 26 Mar 2010 17:20
Herge was not a Nazi, I will agree to that - but he was not perfect. "Shooting Star" was published during the war and as well as the Jewish-like banker who plays the main villain there was a scene in the original newspaper publication in which a pair of Jews called Isaac and Salomon look forward to the end of the world since they'd be spared from paying off their debts!

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Herge himself admitted to being slightly anti-Semitic, though he claimed that it was simply a common thing at the time. I've also read that some well-known anti-Semitics were active in the Resistance against the Nazis during the war. They may have hated Jews, but they hated foreign occupiers even more.

Just goes to show. Unlike Tintin, real life is not about good and evil and taking the appropriate side according to your beliefs. You have to change them along with the circumstances.
doubleT
#6 · Posted: 26 Mar 2010 18:34
Sorry about that, I guess I was just felling really self expressive,because I absolutely LOVE Tintin, but I really, really HATE nazis and anti-semiticism(that stuff just makes me sick to my stomach and boils my blood with rage).

I'm Jewish myself and proud of it,so if some anti-Semitic N####(I can't even say or write that word)came up and badmouthed me because I'm Jewish, I'd at the lest kick them in the Shaine,give them a really bad bloody nose, and knock their teeth out so hard their dentist would feel it.

I'm convinced that Herge'wasn't't a real anti-Semitic, he was just naive and just blindly listening to his superiors.
Eric
#7 · Posted: 26 Mar 2010 21:20
It is always hard to reconcile the great works with their creators. From what I've read, calling Hergé a Nazi collaborator is going overboard, but perhaps that over-reaction is in response to the other extreme, the celebration of Hergé as a saint and that there were no negative issues with his life or work. In truth, it strikes me that Hergé's work for a Nazi-run newspaper and his representations of different races in Tintin are a grey area, but it is people's inclination to either paint the issues as black or white.

I'm a big fan of P.G. Wodehouse, and his reputation has suffered from some of the same issues.
boosterjones
#8 · Posted: 24 Nov 2010 11:48 · Edited by: boosterjones
People change over time and are NOT perfect!

That is why in 1930-1931 he did 'Tintin in the Congo' but in later years would come to regret doing that book (and it's revised version in 1946.)

No I don't think that he was a Natzi or anything like that, sure he'd sometimes depict people in ways that are now consdered offenive but tha was purely due to the times he lived in!

And yes Rastspoplos was a Jew, the way I see things he'd have rejected his hertage after he forced his family into povaty.

I hope that this is the last word we have to hear on this subject, but it would seem unlikely to be so!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!