Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Hergé and Studio Hergé /

Biographies: "Hergé, Son of Tintin" & "Hergé: The Genius of Tintin - A Biography"

Tintinrulz
#1 · Posted: 30 Dec 2011 02:02
I have 12 books about Hergé and Tintin; they vary in quality but it's great to have more books now available in English.

Until recently, the best Hergé/ Tintin book (in English) has undoubtedly been Harry Thompson's Tintin: Hergé and His Creation. It's an enjoyable, well-written book.

Then Pierre Assouline's Hergé: The Man Who Created Tintin was published in English.
This book was well-written, but Assouline seemed to have an agenda in writing some of the chapters. The book was comprehensive, but not an altogether enjoyable read.

Several week ago I bought Benoît Peteers Hergé, Son of Tintin. Now, this has to be the most in-depth look at Hergé/ Tintin available in the English language so far.
As I mentioned, I have 11 other books on Hergé and Tintin and most of the material in this book was either new to me or gave me more information about things I already knew. I love that!
While the book brushes over the war pretty quickly, everything else is pretty much looked at in detail (it's more about Hergé than Tintin though).
I found the book well-written, but more academic than previous efforts. Also the last third of the book is so depressing. The dark side of Hergé emerges. It's tough to realise how human your 'hero' really is.

In short, Thompson's book is the most enjoyable and Peeter's book is the most in-depth book.

And finally to my question. Having already read Benoît Peeter's excellent (if at times depressing) Hergé, Son of Tintin, does Raphaël Taylor's Hergé: The Genius of Tintin - A Biography offer anything new? Is there any point reading Taylor's book? Is it better/worse than Peeter's book? Thanks!

Moderator Note: See here for further information on the fate of the Taylor book!
tintinforever
#2 · Posted: 19 Feb 2017 01:57
Thanks for the review. I am very keen to know more about Benoît Peeter's book - has anyone else on our board read it?
Any more views and opinions would be appreciated.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!