Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

The Adventures of Tristan:

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

tybaltstone
#11 · Posted: 8 Dec 2005 00:46
Erm... I can't remember! I downloaded it a few months ago... maybe it's changed, although I do remember looking for a while before I found it.
king
#12 · Posted: 8 Dec 2005 13:20
The comments on the Mad Boss are interesting, but I thought he looked like The Penguin from Batman; does that make Batman anti-this-or-that?
jock123
#13 · Posted: 9 Dec 2005 00:02
king
I thought he looked like The Penguin from Batman; does that make Batman anti-this-or-that?

Well, in Batman obviously the character of The Penguin is primarily drawn to emphasize his likeness to an actual penguin.

In the Tristan strip, where the character is seemingly just meant to be bad, the artist appears to have given him the stereotypical look which was given to Jews in anti-Semitic works of the past. As tybaltstone says, it may be just an oversight on the part of the artist, but I think it could have been avoided.
Tintinrulz
#14 · Posted: 9 Dec 2005 00:50
In all seriousness though, there are only so many ways you can draw a cartoon face. Maybe the artist just wanted a bad guy with a big nose, seedy eyes and beard because he looks more evil that way.

When I'm drawing I don't go: "I can't draw a big nose on my character because that would make me anti-sematic," I just draw and see where it leads me and its purely coincidence if people find it offensive.
Also how far would you have to go? Can't have an African, European, Jew, Arabian gangster/character - any world race so you would have to choose an alien or something and that would just be stupid. Not too mention the aliens would probably end up filing a lawsuit because of you portraying them as villians! (lol)
jock123
#15 · Posted: 9 Dec 2005 10:12
Tintinrulz
In all seriousness though, there are only so many ways you can draw a cartoon face.

I'd say that there are more ways to draw cartoon faces than thare are faces in the world, because any number of different cartoonists can draw in so many ways - yourself included! ;-)

Tintinrulz
When I'm drawing I don't go: "I can't draw a big nose on my character because that would make me anti-sematic," I just draw and see where it leads me and its purely coincidence if people find it offensive.

That to me sounds a rather thoughtless way to behave - would you decide it was okay to draw black people with thick pink lips and fuzzy hair, as in Congo or the natives in JZ&J, just because that's how you drew them, and leave it up to other people to find it offensive? I hope not. You would surely take the same pains over what the character looked like as you do to what they say: I mean you wouldn't have a character swearing and blaspheming, and just go, "Oh that's just the way it came out." You'd take care to make it appropriate.

Tintinrulz
Also how far would you have to go? Can't have an African, European, Jew, Arabian gangster/character - any world race so you would have to choose an alien or something and that would just be stupid.

Yes, but that is your extrapolation, not mine, and it is indeed a ridiculous conclusion you propose, but you are using a general argument against a specific point.

There is no prohibition against drawing anyone of any race, ethnicity, gender or whatever as either hero or villain - but you have to be careful. There are fat big nosed Jewish people, just as there are fat, big nosed people of many ethnicities and faiths, and there certainly were Jewish gangsters in the Twenties U.S.
But there are many more who are just as un-distinguished as anyone, anywhere.

There are also Japanese people with glasses and buck teeth, and decrepit Scottish drunks with red hair and a parsimonious streak a mile wide...

You can use all these as characters, if that is indeed what they are; what you can't do is take those characteristics and make them the totality of the character - a character assassination as it were, used to run them and those of their background down, and you certainly don't want them to pander to other people's prejudices...

There is a long, long history of anti-Semitic literature which depicts Jewish people in such a fashion; add to this the idea of him being a "mad cartel boss", which hearkens to the anti-Semitic idea of a Jewish business conspiracy, and it is uncomfortable in my eyes...

As a caveat, I must add that as I said originally, this is just my impression from the samples, and may reflect nothing other than the frame the artist has chosen to highlight, but I think it is a situation which could have been avoided...
Tintinrulz
#16 · Posted: 9 Dec 2005 13:35
I don't draw thoughtlessly in that respect. But what I mean is I don't think any specific face feature like that should define a race. I certainly wouldn't draw black people with thick lips, but the fuzzy hair? Many have it so I don't see what the problem is there.
I see what you are saying and agree now that you have elaborated on what you mean.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!