Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Jacques Martin: Colleague of Hergé

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

catchgops
#1 · Posted: 20 Oct 2005 09:27
I stumbled upon the work of Jacques Martin, one of the artists in Tintin magazine here http://www.casterman.com/jacquesmartin/index.php and found the art work to be enticing and Hergé-like (no surprises there).
Unfortunately for me, all of them are in French and I don't understand French too well.
Does anyone know if any of Martin's work made it to English?

Thanks.
tybaltstone
#2 · Posted: 20 Oct 2005 10:25
I think some of the Alix books were published in English in the 1970s, by Ward Lock.
catchgops
#3 · Posted: 20 Oct 2005 10:58
Would you know if some of them are still available via eBay or someplace?
jock123
#4 · Posted: 20 Oct 2005 13:11
Well, things come and go so fast it isn't possible to give a definitive answer to a question like that - you'd have to watch eBay yourself to see; you can set up automatic alerts for searches on items you are hunting for, which e-mail you if something matches your search criteria.
I've never seen one for sale myself, and there were at least a couple of titles, so I'd imagine you will just have to keep your eyes peeled in second-hand shops etc. - good luck! :-)
schnelle
#5 · Posted: 20 Oct 2005 13:37
There are over 300 used Jacques Martin titles (with keyword = CASTERMAN) on http://www.abebooks.com . None are in English, most are being sold by French or Canadian bookstores.
tybaltstone
#6 · Posted: 20 Oct 2005 13:52
I just did a Google search and found a bit more info in this message list thread, authored by our Tintin friend T. F. Mills. [Broken link removed]

Seems as though four books were published in the early seventies. Amazon UK lists the books, but as out-of-print titles. I'd set up a search on ebay (they can auto-email you) and check back at Abebooks every now and then.

Hope you find some!
catchgops
#7 · Posted: 20 Oct 2005 15:20
Thanks for your efforts, everyone. Will keep a watch on eBay as suggested.
george
#8 · Posted: 21 Oct 2005 18:46
To confirm, it's likely that there were four books published in the UK in English. I've got two of them and they each list another two volumes on the rear.

They're hardback, similar to Tintin books, with very dense text.
Actualy, they're more like Blake & Mortimer than Tintin, in both art and overall approach.

George
SingingGandalf
#9 · Posted: 13 May 2006 14:02
After enjoying the works of E.P. Jacobs, I thought that I'd have a look at the works of some of Hergé's associates, and came across the books of Jacques Martin.
I already knew him as one of the "Big 4" of Tintin magazine (Jacques Martin, Edgar Pierre Jacobs, Bob De Moor, and top of the list, Hergé), but had never seen his work.

His albums are all historical. The main one, Alix, is set in Ancient Rome, and others appear to be in Medieval times or the reign of the Sun King in France.

Has anyone read his book? What are they like? Is it worth getting a copy?

Were any ever published in English?

Here's a page about him (in French) on the Casterman site.
labrador road 26
#10 · Posted: 13 May 2006 17:49
I tried to find English translations on the net, but unfortunately I didn't find any.

I've read five or six of the Alix books in Swedish and enjoyed them quite a lot - very nice coloring and exellent drawings.

I can't really vouch for the accuracy of the historic aspects but at a glance they seem rather well researched.

I'd recommend you to read one or two and see if they fit your taste.

But if you don't read French, German, Danish or Swedish you may be out of luck, as they might not be available in English.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!