Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Mad magazine parody

sliat_1981
#1 · Posted: 9 Jan 2006 19:50 · Edited by: Moderator
Did anyone see the Mad magazine parody, Tintin in Fallujah?

I thought it was mean-spirited and stupid. Just a typical case of a Jewish-owned magazine showing their prejudice and hatred for Muslims (and they were never shown like this in Tintin albums).
cuthbert
#2 · Posted: 25 Jan 2006 10:48 · Edited by: Moderator
I saw it, and I also did not think it was very funny. But what do you mean by hatred of Muslims?
Mad magazine is a perfectly fun magazine! How can you say such a thing, if they make fun of everything?
I own loads of old Mad's, cause my dad collected them, and they make just as much fun (if not more) of Christians and Jews.
Satire is the whole point of the magazine isn't it?
jock123
#3 · Posted: 25 Jan 2006 11:47 · Edited by: jock123
sliat_1981 I can understand if you found the parody (which appeared in the issue of November 2004) offensive, but I don’t think that that justifies your sweeping generalization about Jews, magazines and prejudices - surely that is just another demonstration of prejudice?

I’ve not seen the strip myself, but I understand that while it has Haddock having his hand cut off for drinking alcohol, it also has the Thompsons in prison being made to be part of a human pyramid, which underlines how wrong the treatment of the Muslim prisoners being degraded in detention by allied forces was - so I think it was fairly scattershot in its approach.

Mad - which as cuthbert points out seems to be fairly eccumenical in who it satirizes - is actually a part of DC Comics, which in turn is owned by Time-Warner, which is a public company, and therefore owned by people of all faiths, creeds and ethnicities; I wouldn’t point the finger at any one group.
sliat_1981
#4 · Posted: 26 Feb 2006 06:49 · Edited by: sliat_1981
Would they like it if they did a 'Tintin In Israel' where all those Rabbi's try to circumsise him and he is arrested for not praying to Moses twice a day and finally arrest everyone for being friends with Ben Kalish Ezab because that's viewed as anti-sematic.
jock123
#5 · Posted: 27 Feb 2006 09:38 · Edited by: jock123
sliat_1981
Would they like it if they did a 'Tintin In Israel' where all those Rabbi's try to circumsise him and he is arrested for not praying to Moses twice a day and finally arrest everyone for being friends with Ben Kalish Ezab because that's viewed as anti-sematic.

You are not going to win many converts to your cause against prejudice by expressing prejudice yourself.

It doesn't help that you have decided, without providing any evidence, and clearly without obvious foundation, that this is some sort of Jewish-inspired piece (I'm assuming although the point isn't clear that they are the "they" of your second post).

Anyway, while the piece is somewhat relevant because of the use of a parody Tintin & Cº, I don't think that the forums here are the place for you to vent your anger against third parties, and ask that you desist from posting in this manner here.

As you are undoubtedly upset by something, I'd advise you to send your complaints - perhaps in a more considered fashion, if you want to be taken seriously - directly to Mad magazine.

jock123
sliat_1981
#6 · Posted: 5 Mar 2006 08:56
Well I was merely trying to point out that one race should not make fun of anothers when they don't like to be made fun of themselves.
It's widely know that MAD is know for it's New York and Jewish humour and many of the writers are Jewish. I have noticed that they do stereotype of lot of religions (Catholic priests as pedophiles, Baptists as religious obsessed, Muslims as terroists) but I have never once seen the Jewish religion been made to mockery. I don't think they should start now, but they certainly should not make fun of everyone elses' religion except theirs.
jockosjungle
#7 · Posted: 5 Mar 2006 18:37
Well I haven't seen the offending article myself but I feel this thread isn't really a discussion anymore of the strip in question but is bordering on racism.

Could we all keep all comments about the ethnicity of the writers/owners of MAD magazine out of the topic and get it back on track which is primarily to discuss Tintin related content.

To be honest I was never sure that Tintin was well enough known Stateside to make a Tintin parody likely something people would get on a large scale

Rik
No_Muller
#8 · Posted: 1 Jan 2007 20:12 · Edited by: Moderator
sliat_1981:
I have noticed that they do stereotype of lot of religions (Catholic priests as pedophiles, Baptists as religious obsessed, Muslims as terroists) but I have never once seen the Jewish religion been made to mockery.

I must say, being a subscriber to MAD that I do not believe their "Usual Gang of Idiots" believe that all Catholic Priests are pedophiles or that all Baptists are religious obsessed.
Sergio Aragones, one of the most well known MAD artists and author of A MAD Look At... went to Catholic School.
As for making fun of the Jewish religion, as a Jew myself, whenever I see movies like "The Hebrew Hammer" or "Borat", these movies are not making fun of the Jews but making fun of stereotypes of the Jews.
Anyone who has seen the Family Guy episode, "When You Wish Upon A Weinstein" has seen a cornucopia of Jewish stereotypes being made fun of.
sliat_1981, I am dumbfounded by your statement: "Just a typical case of a Jewish owned magazine showing their predjudice and hatred against Muslims (and they were never shown like this in Tintin albums)."
First of all, making a statement about a Jewish-owned magazine and its controlling views against a specific is reminiscent of Nazi Germany and the way Jews were thought to be "impure" and poisoning the Aryan Nation.
Second of all, the reason the Muslims in the Tintin albums were not shown like this is because Hergé lived in a different era.
Have you ever seen the originals of The Land of Black Gold? You'll see instead of Arab military police, British Army troops inspired by the British in Palestine which is now modern day Israel.
Instead of Tintin being kidnapped by Arabs thinking he is a gun dealer, he is kidnapped by the Irgun.
I am disgusted by your generalizations.

-No_Muller
Jeeves
#9 · Posted: 31 Jan 2008 07:00 · Edited by: Moderator
sliat_1981 I think that you are overlooking the fact that MAD makes fun of everyone; maybe some groups more than others, but I think that a lot of the things that parody said were real, like lopping off someone's drinking hand. Obviously not all Muslisms are like that.
What I found to be worse was the line, "but implied beastiality is only part of the enduring appeal of Tintin"; that did not need to be in there.
leo1954
#10 · Posted: 19 Jan 2015 13:21 · Edited by: Moderator
I am a sixty year old Christian and, through my childhood and teen years, was a loyal Mad magazine patron. In my experience, Mad was a source of humor that poked fun at everything.
Now in recent years, the 1990's and on, many people are trying to be politically correct.
If someone does not like what someone else publishes then do not patronize that publication. After all, Speedy Gonzales got banned because the cartoon humorously portrayed Mexicans as lazy - nobody in their right mind can believe that Mexicans are like that.
So pointing out in satire laughable problems in religion and society, though maybe in bad taste, is legal and protected free speech, murdering people is not.

The Tintin character is not the problem.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!