Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Alain Bernard Marchent: "Tintin in the Land of Fervour"

advnarayan
#1 · Posted: 16 Jun 2004 04:08
Anybody knows about Tintin in the Land of Fervour, by Alain Bernard Marchent?
Is it a parody, a novel (in Tintin in the New World style), or what is it?
jock123
#2 · Posted: 16 Jun 2004 15:25
I've not read it, but I found the following:
This nostalgic essay interweaves commentaries on Hergé's Tintin series with reminiscences of a life that has been strongly influenced by the intrepid hero and his adventures. As a child, Alain Bernard Marchand was transported in his imagination to the ends of the earth with Tintin, learning about the world but, more importantly, about himself. As an adult, he brought his childhood imaginings to life, through his travels around the world, particularly to Asia, and in the process, discovered the desire to create worlds of his own through his writing.

Here's the link to the page on the "publisher's" web-site:
Broken link removed - 19/05/2023
I've put the quotes on the publisher, because they are actually an on-demand printing service; you get them to "publish" the book, and they put it on the catalogue, internet book-sellers etc.
If someone orders it, they print one off using digital imaging. Then you - the author - and they split the royalty. A neat twist on the old "vanity publisher", because at least you don't end up with boxes of unsold books in your garage.

The cover of the French edition is bold yellow with a dragon on it; the English language version is a grubby brown/ taupe affair - doesn't leap off the screen, saying, "Buy me!", does it?
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#3 · Posted: 16 Jun 2004 18:21
I've got it - it's an extended essay about the author's early life in terms of reading and appreciating the Tintin books. It isn't entirely autobiographical however. There is some very interesting and perceptive analysis that is surprisingly lucid in comparison to much of the pseudo-rubbish put about by other Tintin experts. I found it a worthwhile purchase and would reccommend it to others as a different slant on the usual commentaries.

Ed

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!