Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Where can Tintin fan art and fan works be posted?

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

BestFriendOfTINTIN
#1 · Posted: 17 Feb 2008 08:15
Is there any site where I can post fan arts on TINTIN?
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 17 Feb 2008 10:46
Unfortunately not. Moulinsart is ridiculously strict and doesn't allow any Tintin fan art.
jock123
#3 · Posted: 17 Feb 2008 19:02
Tintinrulz
Moulinsart is ridiculously strict and doesn't allow any Tintin fan art.

It really isn’t worth picking the scab of that particular subject again, is it? How often does it have to be explained that they are no more or less strict than the majority of artists and their representatives, that they have a legal obligation to pursue copyright violations?
It's very stupid.
Or not: read Balthazar’s post here about how copyright protects his livelihood.

And to BestFriendOfTINTIN, it is because the posting of fan art is illegal that it cannot be posted here; it therefore not done to ask for other places to do it. It would be like saying that you shouldn’t break into a car on this street, but you should go around the corner and do it. Please don’t ask again, thanks!
Tintinrulz
#4 · Posted: 17 Feb 2008 23:18
I'm not saying it's right to copy and sell Tintin art. But Tintin fan art is just art created by those with an appreciation for Herge's universe.
Even Disney allows you to do fan art.
Moulinsart is ridiculously strict. By not letting fans use their creative juices to create Tintin art, they're limiting it to a purely materialistic, money-fuelled organisation. I think we all know the difference about doing a bit of art and putting it on the Net and putting art on the Net, passing it off as Herge's and charging for it.
cigars of the beeper
#5 · Posted: 17 Feb 2008 23:30
Moulinsart is more strict copyright wise than other organizations, so we need to just live with it. Herge seems to have been rather protective of his creation (like his refusing to give E.P. Jacobs credit) and we should respect his wishes.
Tintinrulz
#6 · Posted: 18 Feb 2008 01:02
If it's ALL Herge's wishes I understand and respect that, but if it's Rodwell and his doings, I don't like it one iota.
waveofplague
#7 · Posted: 18 Feb 2008 04:50
It's not like you can't find fan art, though. Look no further than this delightful creation. I don't know what that is or who made it, but it's grotesque.
Tintinrulz
#8 · Posted: 18 Feb 2008 05:44
That's not fan art, that's parody. For some reason parody's allowed.
jock123
#9 · Posted: 18 Feb 2008 09:49 · Edited by: jock123
Tintinrulz
Moulinsart is ridiculously strict.
Moulinsart is only a strict as it needs to be to protect its rights in the works of Hergé - there isn’t a way to say this that will convince you, is there? Losing your copyright is like being pregnant - it’s not something which can be done by degrees.

Even Disney allows you to do fan art.
That’s interesting - what makes you say that? I can’t find anything which says you can on their web-sites, so a citation would help your case. Other than that, I’m afraid I don’t believe it. They don’t even allow their own artists to do sketches for members of the public (on the studio tours the scratch pads that the demos are done on are marked with a Disney copyright, and the pages are collected and stored or shredded).

By not letting fans use their creative juices to create Tintin art, they're limiting it to a purely materialistic, money-fuelled organisation.
But to be blunt, that is what they are there for - it is their sole reason to exist. What you don’t get across is why they shouldn’t be?
They are an organization to make money out of the life and works of Hergé, and the profits are ploughed back into a charitable foundation, which funds the conservation of Hergé’s art, the written archives, his research library, and in the not-too-distant future, the museum.
The sound protection of the copyright also aids projects such as the Nelvana cartoons, merchandise and especially things like the Spielberg movies. It is unlikely that the amount of money needed to make films or toys would be risked by the studios and others if they thought that Tintin was a project which could lapse into the public domain due to the copyright being allowed to be violated.

I think we all know the difference about doing a bit of art and putting it on the Net and putting art on the Net, passing it off as Herge's and charging for it.
Yes, and that’s neither here nor there: I know the difference between them too, but it doesn’t make either of them right. Either way it queers the pitch for the legally owned and operated Tintin franchise.
It seems to me that your beef boils down to a) not wanting Moulinsart to make money, which to my eyes is to the detriment of all Tintin fans, as it will stymie any worthwhile development of the works through movies, the museum etc.; and b) an unfounded belief that Moulinsart are stopping you from doing something you want to do out of spite, rather than just doing their job.

cigars of the beeper
Moulinsart is more strict copyright wise than other organizations,
No, they aren’t, they are no more or less strict than any other business. Where they may differ is in what rights they choose to offer, and how they want them exploited. It could grant limited rights for people to create fan works, but that is giving permission to do so under set conditions. However, that is not possible to them, as Hergé’s widow (who is the ultimate owner of Hergé’s estate, not Moulinsart/ Studios Hergé) has not given them permission to create new work, so they cannot grant that to others either.

Tintinrulz
If it's ALL Herge's wishes I understand and respect that, but if it's Rodwell and his doings, I don't like it one iota.
Mme. Rodwell/ Remis wants it that way, so that’s the way it is.
cigars of the beeper
#10 · Posted: 19 Feb 2008 19:29 · Edited by: cigars of the beeper
The reason why you can't link to unofficial material here is the Tintin copyright. If there are links to unofficial works here, it only takes one peek from Nick Rodwell to get this site closed down. Can't everyone see that not posting links to unofficial material is the same issue that we are already talking about here? The copyright protects Tintin and Herge's honor. I quote Herge himself here: "If anyone were to continue Tintin, they may do better, or they may do worse, but one thing is certain: It wouldn't be Tintin anymore." Herge did not want Tintin ripoffs, so we shouldn't endorse, discuss or read them.
I am sensing that this thread is asking to be locked.

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

This topic is closed.