Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

X'ed Out: Charles Burns

george
#1 · Posted: 27 Nov 2010 11:30
I've just realised there's been no discussion or even acknowledgment of X'ed Out, the new Charles Burns book, which draws heavily (to say the least) on Tintin iconography.

It's actually been a month or two since I read my copy so my opinion of the book isn't yet fully formed. It is fair to say that if you know Charles Burns' work you can guess what you are going to be getting. The Herge elements are almost always there but without being intrusive. The book is the first in a projected three-book series and is well worth getting - with the proviso that it is Burns not Herge so the approach is totally different.

See if you can guess what album is being alluded to here...!

George
Balthazar
#2 · Posted: 28 Nov 2010 13:36
Many thanks for drawing our attention to this, George. Looks great!

Personally I preferred Charles Burns' earlier creepy-but-still-funny stuff (also packed full of Tintin references and twisted pastiches), such as his Big Baby series and El Borah (AKA Hard Boiled Defective Stories), to his less comedic and supposedly more adult Black Hole. But it's all good.

From what I've just checked out of X'ed Out on-line, it looks like it might be a sort of cross between Big Baby and Black Hole, plus loads more Tintin references, so I'm looking forward to reading it.
hagen8
#3 · Posted: 29 Nov 2010 15:43
I really enjoyed this book. The production quality is exceptional! It even has the cloth red binding like my old Tintin editions!
I got my signed copy from a Charles Burns booksigning a couple weeks ago at The Strand bookstore in NYC. According to their website, they still have 11 signed copies left!
http://www.strandbooks.com
Morganson
#4 · Posted: 30 Nov 2010 09:56
Looks interesting. What can I expect from X'ed Out and Charles Burns in general?
george
#5 · Posted: 1 Dec 2010 09:32
This review (https://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/oct/10/xed-out-charles-burns-review) describes things better than I ever could - probably why she gets paid to write whereas I pay to read...

As for Charles Burns' work, the description of Black Hole as a 'dystopian creep-fest' probably isn't too far of the mark. Certainly creep-fest anyway!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!