Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

“Tintin in the New World: A romance”: A novel by Frederic Tuten

Page  Page 7 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next » 

#61 · Posted: 16 Aug 2007 16:45
It isn't in comic book form, Mirirocks67. It's in novel format with chapters and everything. And I wouldn't waste my time reading it if I were you.

My library has a copy; but I've never seen any point in reading it. From everything I've heard (reading this complete thread and many others) I came to the conclusion a long time ago that it's not worth it.
#62 · Posted: 16 Aug 2007 17:07
Ah well, thank you very much, Borschtisov.
I always knew that it wasn’t Hergé’s work,so it wasn’t canon, I wanted to know what it is, exactly.
#63 · Posted: 29 Aug 2007 11:47 · Edited by: sliat_1981
You can have a damaged one real cheap. I have no use for this trash anymore. But I warn you, is it really worth buying? Reading about Tintin's penis and watching him die? Honestly, apart from the names, this has nothing to do with Tintin. Haddock dies in a dream. Pretty depressing stuff. Read my earlier posts for spoliers. As for the plot it has none. Tintin, Snowy and Haddock (or more likely people with the same names) go to Peru after reading a cryptic letter. He never seeks who wrote it (then it was pointless going in the first place) They meet poeple and just talk and talk endlessly about phlisophy and stories about other people. Tintin and Clavdia have sex. She dumps him and he refuses to go back with Haddock, grows a beard, somehow manages to heal sick people with his touch, then for no apparent reason, strips nude, and jumps in the river, drowning himself. The last sentence has him entering the darkness of death. It's the most unromantic novel to be subtitled "a romance".
Harrock n roll
#64 · Posted: 29 Aug 2007 12:56
sliat_1981, I think thou doth protest too much. You have pointed out time and again that you find the book "disgusting" and "perverted", yet you seem to delight in re-evoking the more 'graphic moments' of Tuten's book.

I really think you've made your point. You don't like the book, 'nuff said. There's no need to keep reminding us of it.
#65 · Posted: 26 Jan 2008 17:15
Everything I have read about this book makes it sound sick and disturbing and like a crime against humanity.
#66 · Posted: 5 Oct 2008 16:42
I've only read a little about this book and I personally wouldn't buy it. Really though aside from a few things I wouldn't look at anything outside the Tintin canon, because I think that only Herge had a clear idea of what to do with the character.
#67 · Posted: 10 Jan 2012 06:18
I’ve read about 80 pages of this (which I think is a fair try) and it is without a doubt the most pretentious thing I have ever read!

I approached it wearily knowing that it would involve Tintin “falling in love” and “discovering the dark side of his nature” which I wasn’t wild about. I think the person who most interestingly deconstructed the series was Herge himself. But of course Herge was an artist and Tuten is a hack of the highest order.

His prose isn’t anything special and the dialogue is god awful. It’s unrealistic, uninteresting, and downright unbearable. Haddock just spouts stupid nautical metaphors that make him sound like someone bad actor’s “old seadog” impression. Snowy just makes wisecracks that are neither funny nor insightful. Tintin has no real voice at all and it’s hard not to cringe when he says “adventuring”. His relationship with Clavdia (or Claudia or Clawdia or whatever the hell her name is*) is totally unconvincing. He sees her at the table then they sit together and she spews some (word I can’t say on this forum) that Tuten clearly thinks passes for profundity, and all of a sudden Tintin’s in love. That’s not even mentioning the scene before where Tintin and Haddock sit and listen to a bunch of characters from The Magic Mountain spouting off about life the universe and everything. The whole conversation may as well have had “themes that I wish to discuss in this work” hanging over it in big flashing lights. Tintin’s pointless dream sequence and seduction all smack of a man who is convinced that nasty and cynical is automatically deep and above all is trying way to hard to be clever.

Some have pointed out that “the character isn’t supposed to be Tintin” well if not then why couldn’t this guy write his own character? It’s not that hard to do. When most people combine characters from two other authors it’s called a crossover fanfic , but apparently when a professor does it it’s called literature.

*I say this because her name is spelled Clavdia in the book, Claudia in the review I read, and Clawdia on the Wikipedia entry about The Magic Mountain.
#68 · Posted: 8 Aug 2013 02:53
First of all, Hi! I've been a Tintin fan since I was 3, but never fully joined this site till now!

OK, so this book. I first found out about it when I was 12. I was happy to find that Tintin falls in love in this book. I wanted desperately to read it. Then a few years ago, I read this forum and realized how horrible this book was. I even read a few pages from the Google books sample. Not only did I find that Tintin was being preyed on by a monster of a woman, but the "philosophy" in this book is not philosophy, it's the machinations of a dope. I'm especially angry with Hergé for having given Tuten permission to write it. Ils sont fous!!
#69 · Posted: 15 Oct 2013 12:46
no child reader would persevere beyond the first few pages of the book, because it's just too boring and confusing

I love reading and found it just a bit too unusual and very boring being there is no pictures..
#70 · Posted: 15 Oct 2013 21:10 · Edited by: Gayboy
Ok, this is a very old thread but since others are chiming in this necroed thread, I guess I will too...

I haven't read this book, but from what other readers say it doesn't sound that appealing. I remember a story being written I believe with Tintin as Timtim and Snowy as Spewey? I will say though even if there were parts that Tintin was displayed as a homosexual according to some other posters, that alone should not be a negative whether you agree with the lifestyle or not. I know these replies are old near the beginning of the thread, but there are people of class who are straight and gay. I'm not going to elaborate any further.

It talks of depression which I can see protagonists suffer setbacks and do deal with such issues at some point which make them believable characters. I know I have debated about Tintin possibly dying in Alph-Art, but for Tintin to just outright end his own life is laughable at best, the writer could have at least gave Tintin a dignified ending.

In conclusion, I will say everyone has the right to see whichever character in whatever light they like. Art is art no matter who it offends or what the subject matter is whether we like it or not. It's all subjective in the end and we as people who appreciate art can form our own individual opinions about it alone. All of our opinions of course are affected by our own prejudices and personal biases and apparently this book generated a lot of controversy so it succeeded in one regard.

Page  Page 7 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!