Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

“Tintin in the New World: A romance”: A novel by Frederic Tuten

Page  Page 8 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

BelgicatheBrave
#71 · Posted: 14 Apr 2017 07:19
I purchased a used copy of this book from Amazon relatively inexpensively. For years I avoided it and then I decided to read it. Admittedly, there were some pockets of beauty in the text (ex., when Captain Haddock expresses lament at never having found a wife or had children, the introduction of the Lieutenant in the cantina and that's about it). But I thought the philosophical ramblings of the characters from The Magic Mountain were horribly pretentious. If you've never read it, I'll spare you the investment and say that it sounds like a group of first year philosophy students engaging in what sound to them like very important debate over their Christmas holiday.

My biggest beef with this lump of ambergris masquerading as literature is that Tuten grossly misunderstands Hergé's characters. Haddock's dialogue was comically horrible and Tintin's dialogue was overly formal and hard to follow.

And then of course there's the love story. I love the premise of having Tintin fall in love, but did Tuten have to have him fall in love with such a vile woman? Our beloved reporter certainly has better taste than that! Not only was she materialistic and manipulative, but she was also excessively boring!

Also did anyone else catch that Tuten said Tintin hadn't physically aged past 12 years old? Yuck--that's not true at all!
sliat_1981
#72 · Posted: 8 May 2017 11:38
I dunno who Tuten was writing about but that was not Tintin. I understand Herge was very sick in his later years and maybe that's how he obtained "permission".
jock123
#73 · Posted: 9 May 2017 18:23
sliat_1981:
I understand Herge was very sick in his later years and maybe that's how he obtained "permission".

No, they were friends, and the permission was freely given, one artist to another as it were.

Page  Page 8 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!