Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Hergé: Caesar in Asterix?

ClaroQuerido
#1 · Posted: 19 Aug 2005 21:34 · Edited by: ClaroQuerido
After watching the excellent documentary 'Tintin et Moi' and reading an Asterix book for the first time in ages, I suddenly noticed a striking resemblance between the Julius Caesar character and Hergé. I mean, look at his mouth, eyebrows, eyes and build, and just general 'look'. It looks very like Hergé as a middle-aged man.

Is there any evidence that it could be a caricature of him? Or is it just me? Has this been brought up before? And if it's not a characature of Hergé, then who? (because it definately is of someone in real life IMO).
Karaboudjan
#2 · Posted: 20 Aug 2005 10:29 · Edited by: Karaboudjan
True that it looks more like Herge than the actual Caesar (or what we know of him from death masks, busts etc). It's worth looking up; Goscinny and Uderzo (like other cartoonists afterwards) were undoubtedly greatly influenced by Herge, so maybe they thought this would be paying tribute. You might argue this is quite a negative way of doing so, considering old Julius is the baddy of Asterix, but he always managed to be (in my opinion anyway) immensely sympathetic and likeable- more so than Asterix himself, I'd say.
ClaroQuerido
#3 · Posted: 21 Aug 2005 00:54
You might argue this is quite a negative way of doing so, considering old Julius is the baddy of Asterix, but he always managed to be (in my opinion anyway) immensely sympathetic and likeable- more so than Asterix himself, I'd say.

I would agree with you there. There is definately something sympathetic about him despite him being a 'baddie'. I think one factor is the that he is a 'political baddie' - that is he is opposed to Asterix's village and the Gauls because he is the Roman leader. In that sense, he seems less bad.
Karaboudjan
#4 · Posted: 21 Aug 2005 19:59
Plus he never seems to succeed in what he sets out to do, poor thing...

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!