Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q38: Devil and Angel

Rocky
#1 · Posted: 24 Aug 2006 12:15
Herge uses a 'devil and angel' technique to show when a character is battling with their conscience, in two Tintin books (unless I've missed another occurrence). Name the two book titles and the characters.
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 24 Aug 2006 13:17
Snowy - Tintin in Tibet (with the temptation of whisky)
Captain Haddock - The Red Sea Sharks (with the temptation of whisky) on board Allan's 'rescue' boat.
Rocky
#3 · Posted: 24 Aug 2006 17:31
You are correct, well done Tintinrulz! Your turn for the next question.
Tintin in Tibet page 19, Red Sea Sharks page 42.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#4 · Posted: 24 Aug 2006 18:39
Does anyone know when the earliest representation of a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other was made? By which, I mean depicting a struggle with one's conscience.

This isn't a trivia question, just a point of interest!

Ed
Mikael Uhlin
#5 · Posted: 24 Aug 2006 20:36
edcharlesadams wrote: Does anyone know when the earliest representation of a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other was made? By which, I mean depicting a struggle with one's conscience. This isn't a trivia question, just a point of interest!

I would guess that this first appeared in animated cartoons. Disney in the 30s, maybe? Didn't Donald Duck have this kind of struggle in numerous occassions?
jock123
#6 · Posted: 24 Aug 2006 21:50
In Christopher Marlowe's play Doctor Faustus the main character's conscience appears in the guise of a good angel and a bad angel, who tussel with him over the temptations of life. This dates from 1604, and is based on earlier work, so it is a pretty old conceit.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#7 · Posted: 25 Aug 2006 00:27
Thanks Mikael and jock, that's very interesting.

Through Google I've found a 1938 film, <a href="http://imdb.com/title/tt0030068/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Donald's Better Self</a>, the poster for which gives a typical representation:

[link no longer works]

As for Faustus, I'd clean forgotten the reference! Presumably Hergé knew the story: he makes enough references to Gounod's version... And of course Rastapopoulos, as the Marquis de Gorgonzola, dresses as Mephistopheles in The Red Sea Sharks, only a few pages before Haddock's moral dilemma.

Ed
yamilah
#8 · Posted: 26 Aug 2006 13:05
Third scene with 'devil and angel':
Snowy - 'Tintin in Tibet' (with temptation of a bone, p.45) !
-------------------

Concerning Gounod's Faustus**, it might be worth mentioning that Rastapopoulos & Castafiore do match respectively:
- Mephistopheles, via his disguise in The Red Sea Sharks (p.38 + see above)
- Margarita, via her dress in The Calculus Affair (p.53) and her Margarita's song in The Emerald (p.36)

...as if some narrow unseen* link between them had been amplified* via external data* liable to make it visible.

* please search for related threads.

This topic is closed.