Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q45: About UK registered vehicles

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

yamilah
#1 · Posted: 1 Sep 2006 08:50
Apart from The Black Island (e.g. p.8, etc), where else can we see a vehicle with a UK registration?

Please quote album + page + make of vehicle.
labrador road 26
#2 · Posted: 2 Sep 2006 01:04
Since quite a lot of us is not from UK could you please tell how a UK registration plate is made up. I only know how the swedish ones are composed, three letters and three digits. Looking at Black Island it looks like the UK version is 3 letters + 3 digits + 1 letter, is that correct?
Levent
#3 · Posted: 2 Sep 2006 05:49
I think that it is a car. See an old (1960s to 1982) F-reg British car photo at link below:
URL
Harrock n roll
#4 · Posted: 2 Sep 2006 12:16
There have been numerous UK registration formats since they started issuing them (in 1903). Perhaps this link might help in answering yamilah's rather difficult question.
yamilah
#5 · Posted: 2 Sep 2006 14:06
Here comes the clue: this vehicle has a military* trait.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#6 · Posted: 4 Sep 2006 10:57
Time's up I'm afraid yamilah, please give the answer!

Ed
yamilah
#7 · Posted: 4 Sep 2006 11:02
G- is the code for UK registred planes, as seen in The Black Island: G-AREI, G-ARCR, G-AIRJ (see close-up p.36), and in Flight 714 where -for over 10 pages- the 'Carreidas 160' shows its registration G-CATF (see 'G-' close-up p.16).

about international plane registrations, see http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/8803/fctrycod.htm#d

The UK registrations of the 3 propeller planes & Carreidas jet** -found in consecutively published albums in the English versions- are visible connections between the British Isles (The Black Island) and Sondonesia's Pulau Pulau Bompa Archipelago (Flight 714), aside from the 'invisible' link between original password* or pun* title L'Ile Noir* and the East Indies*.

About the Carreidas' military trait, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swing-wing

* please search for related threads.
** its impossible speed* makes it spatiotemporal*, as well as its contrail (that kind of duplicates it, as it can be seen on the cover, but not in the book).
Harrock n roll
#8 · Posted: 4 Sep 2006 12:32
I think your question was misleading: “Apart from The Black Island (e.g. p.8, etc)...” - page 8 of Black Island shows a car - “where else can we see a vehicle with a UK registration?” - a “vehicle” normally refers to a land vehicle - like a car - and not an aircraft.
yamilah
#9 · Posted: 4 Sep 2006 12:43
I think your question was misleading: “Apart from The Black Island (e.g. p.8, etc)

'etc' precisely means other pages are to be taken into account.

a "vehicle" normally refers to a land vehicle - like a car - and not an aircraft.

The dictionary definition for 'vehicle' implies it can be used for other types of vehicle.

se e.g. http://www.wordreference.com/enfr/vehicle
Ranko
#10 · Posted: 4 Sep 2006 13:00
Exactly. I have been wasting my time looking for a car.

I'm sorry, yamilah. I give up. I must be lacking in intelligence because I simply cannot understand what you mean in the majority of your posts. Could you please explain this sensibly without reference to rebuses, puns, password links and whatever.

** its impossible speed* makes it spatiotemporal*, as well as its contrail (that kind of duplicates it, as it can be seen on the cover, but not in the book).

What has the jet contrail got to do with anything. And do you know what? Maybe the books are just good adventure stories in their own right without references to any sort of psychobabble.

Confused and slightly irritated as always
Ranko.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

This topic is closed.