Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q50: Motoring along in the fast lane!

jock123
#1 · Posted: 11 Sep 2006 10:37
As seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher has just announced he will retire from Formula One at the end of the season, here is a motor-racing question: can you say which Australian three-times winner of the F1 Grand Prix gets a name-drop in one of the books? Name him and the book.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#2 · Posted: 11 Sep 2006 15:16
Would it be Jack Brabham, as mentioned by Haddock in The Calculus Affair, p34 ("They must have a Jack Brabham at the wheel!").
Ranko
#3 · Posted: 11 Sep 2006 15:38
Half an hour ago I thought I was in! By the time I get home, Richard has beaten me to it... LOL

My guess was also Jack Brabham.

What do you say Jock?
jock123
#4 · Posted: 11 Sep 2006 16:39
Quite right - Haddock is of course talking about the famed Australian driver Sir Jack.

That’s a point to Richard, and over to him for the next question!

Bad luck this time Ranko!
Harrock n roll
#5 · Posted: 11 Sep 2006 17:17
Jack Brabham would have been very contemporary as he'd won consecutive F1 championships in 1959 and '60, the year the English edition first appeared. I wonder if he's aware that he's been honoured in a Tintin book? :-)
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#6 · Posted: 11 Sep 2006 17:36 · Edited by: edcharlesadams
Well done Richard!

Purely for interest, the French version references Argentine driver Juan Manuel Fangio: "c'est au moins Fangio qui est au volant!"

Brabham was an excellent and topical choice as you say, Harrock. But had I translated the book, I'd have been tempted to have Haddock say: "Thundering typhoons! Who does he think he is, Stirling Moss?" ;-)

Ed

This topic is closed.