Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q54: Great Snakes!

Jolyon Wagg
#1 · Posted: 12 Sep 2006 19:28
When is the only time in the series a snake has not posed a danger to the lives of any of the characters?

Album and page number please
Ranko
#2 · Posted: 13 Sep 2006 10:55
On P57,D1 of Prisoners Of The Sun the Incas are carrying what appears to me to be some kind of ceremonial snake. Although about to be burnt at the stake by the rays of the sun immediately after this display, the snake doesn't seem to pose any threat to our heroes...?
Jolyon Wagg
#3 · Posted: 13 Sep 2006 11:25
I didnt notice that one but its not the one im thinking of..
Harrock n roll
#4 · Posted: 13 Sep 2006 11:28
I don't have the book to hand but isn't a snake seen escaping from the prarie fire in Tintin in America?
Jolyon Wagg
#5 · Posted: 13 Sep 2006 11:39
grr missed that one too but its still not the one im thinking of

clue: Its not a real snake.
labrador road 26
#6 · Posted: 13 Sep 2006 12:39
Could it be the one Haddock tries to scare Calculus with in Destination moon?
jock123
#7 · Posted: 13 Sep 2006 13:13
I think we are definitely running into trouble here - the question as set states that there is only one time this occurs, and yet two entrants have made cases for snake-related incidents which appear to answer the question. I’m not sure that it is right to be able to discount these just because the question setter didn’t think of them.

The question about the racing driver I recently gave was set in such a way that there was enough definition in it (the number of F1 championships won and the nationality of the driver I was after) that it limited the possibility of someone finding say a Swiss driver mentioned somewhere, or a 2 times winning Aussie; had someone pulled another three-times winner from Oz out of the hat, I’d have to say that they were as open to being the winner as the answer I thought of. There is an onus on the question-setter to be fair to the participants, as much as there is for the participants to answer correctly, I feel.

Can we have a bit of arbitration here, Ed?
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#8 · Posted: 13 Sep 2006 18:32
Can we have a bit of arbitration here, Ed?

Certainly. Anyone giving an answer that isn't 'incorrect', but isn't the one the questioner intends to be right, is awarded a bonus point. If no-one gives the intended correct answer, the next question is open for anyone to give.

But while no-one loses out by giving a nominally 'wrong' answer, it's as well to make your questions as objective and well-researched as possible, so that it's clear who sets the next question and the game keeps up a decent pace. Try not to give questions which are worded ambiguously or invite several correct answers. Recently there have been quite a few subjective questions that have encouraged discussions rather than a simple correct/incorrect verification. Note also that an 'impossible' question incurs a one point penalty.

On being fair to both the question-setters and participants, I don't have anything to add to what jock has said.

Ed
Jolyon Wagg
#9 · Posted: 13 Sep 2006 18:38
labrador road 26 has given the correct intended answer! Well done!

I am sorry to have caused so much confusion.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#10 · Posted: 13 Sep 2006 18:59
No problem Jolyon, enjoy the game!

Labrador road 26 gains a point and sets the next question. Ranko and Harrock n'Roll also gain bonus points.

Ed

This topic is closed.