Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q74: Island hopping

Balthazar
#1 · Posted: 28 Oct 2006 22:07
In the completed Tintin books (so not including Alph-Art) I reckon Tintin sets foot on seven different islands. Can you list them? (List by book and island in question.)

For the purposes of this question, I’m defining an island as any area of land or rock which is completely surrounded by water, that’s no bigger than Greenland (so we’re not counting continental land masses as islands), but bigger than ten metres across (so the various brink-of-waterfall rocks and stepping-stones that Tintin finds himself on don’t count either).
And we have to see Tintin actually pictured standing on each island for it to count (so Manhattan doesn’t count, for instance, even though we might guess that he’s caught his liner home from there at the end of Tintin in America).
labrador road 26
#2 · Posted: 29 Oct 2006 06:02
I come up with seven (or maybe six) ones. If one is wrong, I'm uncertain which one is missing, I don't have the all the books on hand.

In Black Island he sets foot on both the english mainland, not sure if that has a proper name. And of course the Black Island itself.

In Shooting Star he sets foot on Iceland and later on the meteor island, not really sure if that counts as an island.

In Red Rackham's Treasure Tintin and his pals sets foot on the island where Haddoque was centuries earlier.

In Flight 714 Tintin first spends a little time on Java then he and the others of course involuntarily visits the island Rastapopoulos has as base of operation. Not sure if that island has a name.

If the meteor in Shooting Star is wrong then I don't know what island is the seventh.
Balthazar
#3 · Posted: 29 Oct 2006 10:39
Well done, labrador road 26. That's the correct answer.

The meteor in The Shooting Star certainly counts. I didn't say the islands had to be permanent. And the meteor island is certainly big enough to come within my criteria.

Strictly speaking, the term "UK Mainland" or "British Mainland" would be more accurate than "English Mainland" since the island also encompasses mainland Scotland and Wales; but it's perfectly clear which island you were identifying, so that's fine.

Although you didn't need to name the island Rastapopoulos is using in Flight 714 to correctly identify it, it's called Pulau-pulau Bompa. Pulau is Indonesaian for island. I'm not sure why the double "Pulau-pulau" is used, since (from my very limited knowledge of the way that language works) I think this would suggest islands in the plural. But I'm probably wrong. Maybe any Indonesian speakers can put me straight, though that's probably a subject for another thread!

Anyway, over to labrador road 26 for the next question.

This topic is closed.